Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 To be honest it's really simple to do. Urm, Make a folder, Put the MSI in there, Create an MST using the admin tool (i cannot share ours - it's really simple to do using the admin tool), Put the corrisponting ini file in the folder. Do the same thing for the drivers/notebook. Other than this the MSI are the ones direct from SMART so no need for me to re-share, and the admin tool is simple to use to make the MST's for your site. Attached are the .ini config files, you will need to change the file names in them. Just made me wonder as James said he wanted to be able to share the package amongst schools. If there's no way to edit the key and config once it's created, that seems pretty impossible to do.
mjs_mjs Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 Just made me wonder as James said he wanted to be able to share the package amongst schools. If there's no way to edit the key and config once it's created, that seems pretty impossible to do. To be fair i don't think it could be made easier. The package (MSI) is shareable, but the MST's should be created at each site, as each one will be different. I haven't changed the package - that's what the MST is for.
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 To be fair i don't think it could be made easier. The package (MSI) is shareable, but the MST's should be created at each site, as each one will be different. I haven't changed the package - that's what the MST is for. From what I understood he wanted to just be able to say "Here you go, import this" but as you say, it's not going to be possible to do.
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 (edited) Okay, so I've added that .ini file. In the RMMC it still doesn't show the MST for the package. Edit: I've assigned it and it's not put the MST out there. Edited January 22, 2010 by Edu-IT
mjs_mjs Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 From what I understood he wanted to just be able to say "Here you go, import this" but as you say, it's not going to be possible to do. Nope - just tested my notebook and the key didn't get put in..... GRRRR oh well staying with 10 for now then.
enjay Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 Huh? The MST won't appear in the the RMMC, just assign the package and AppAgent will pick up the MST and handle whatever customisations it makes. Or have I misunderstood you?
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 Huh? The MST won't appear in the the RMMC, just assign the package and AppAgent will pick up the MST and handle whatever customisations it makes. Or have I misunderstood you? It usually does under 'transform files' and it doesn't pick it up.
enjay Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 My RMMC doesn't - but then we don't have LST, that could make the difference. Or the fact that we're CC3!
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 My RMMC doesn't - but then we don't have LST, that could make the difference. Or the fact that we're CC3! It doesn't work anyway.
mjs_mjs Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 Huh? The MST won't appear in the the RMMC, just assign the package and AppAgent will pick up the MST and handle whatever customisations it makes. Or have I misunderstood you? If on CC3 the MST file is specified in the ini package associated with the package but no it isn't show as a separate package in RMMC, it isn't picked up unless you specify the MST within the ini file I believe. If on cc4 it shows up within the properties of the package.
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 Nope - just tested my notebook and the key didn't get put in..... GRRRR oh well staying with 10 for now then. Okay, worked this out I think. On CC4 in the installation settings you need to put TRANSFORMS=notebook.mst for example. It doesn't use the .ini file at all.
mjs_mjs Posted January 23, 2010 Posted January 23, 2010 Okay, worked this out I think. On CC4 in the installation settings you need to put TRANSFORMS=notebook.mst for example. It doesn't use the .ini file at all. I think that would work. I make all my packaes as CC3 them import the CC3 .ini file, as it works better and i know how to customise it a little better. So i do need the ini file untill it's into the CC4 XML file and uploaded. Thats just the way i work. I'll also add that once the package hits the management console on CC4, i dont know how to add the MST file. Couldn't find out ither.
Edu-IT Posted January 23, 2010 Author Posted January 23, 2010 I think that would work. I make all my packaes as CC3 them import the CC3 .ini file, as it works better and i know how to customise it a little better. So i do need the ini file untill it's into the CC4 XML file and uploaded. Thats just the way i work. I'll also add that once the package hits the management console on CC4, i dont know how to add the MST file. Couldn't find out ither. That might be where I went wrong. I didn't import it as a CC3 package. That said you still said the key didn't get applied didn't you?
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Okay, that didn't work. Anyone got any ideas how to get this MSI and MST out there?
sparkeh Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Now that the lastest versions are out shouldn't this be the same as the previous method for installing using the install manager. This is how I installed the previous version on CC4: +installed 'install manager' on server +used app wiz to add drivers .msi to package area +used install manager to alter driver settings (disable update) and create config .xml file (so can make alterations in future) then to publish transform (drivers.mst) to package folder. +added Transform=drivers.mst to commandline properties of package in RMMC +used app wiz to add notebook .msi to package area +used install manager to alter notebook settings (disable update again and put in path to gallery) and create config .xml file (so can make alterations in future) then publish transform (notebook.mst) to package folder. +added Transform=notebook.mst to commandline properties of package in RMMC +allocated to station to test
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Try it, it didn't work for me. +installed 'install manager' on server +used app wiz to add drivers .msi to package area +used install manager to alter driver settings (disable update) and create config .xml file (so can make alterations in future) then to publish transform (drivers.mst) to package folder. +added Transform=drivers.mst to commandline properties of package in RMMC Does it matter that I had SMART notebook.mst with a space?
mjs_mjs Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 That might be where I went wrong. I didn't import it as a CC3 package. That said you still said the key didn't get applied didn't you? Nope - got installed with all network gallery ect, but not the key. Maybe i put the wrong key in - will have a look into it again soon.
sparkeh Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Does it matter that I had SMART notebook.mst with a space? Hmm I wouldn't have thought so... Do any of the settings contained in the .mst get applied?
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Hmm I wouldn't have thought so... Do any of the settings contained in the .mst get applied? It just fails to deploy.
sparkeh Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 It just fails to deploy. Any errors in event log to suggest why it is failing?
enjay Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 (edited) Okay, so mine's installed with a networked Gallery, but it did ask me about the Customer Experience Improvement, even though I told it what to do with that in the MST. Also "check for updates" is enabled, even though I turned this off. There's no evaluation copy nagm, so I'm guessing that means it has entered the licence key from the MST. It is almost as if it has applied some of the MST but not all of it. Is that possible?! As an aside, I note there's no "you're not attached to a board" nag any more. Edited January 25, 2010 by enjay
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 (edited) There's nothing helpful in the event viewer. Odd that you're experiencing issues too. I am merging the transform with the MSI in Orca and I am going to see what that does. Edit: Okay so with the transform applied it doesn't pick up any information about the gallery and asks if I want to install it. Normal? I'd have thought this would all be unselected. Edited January 25, 2010 by Edu-IT
enjay Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I think I see my mistake with the Customer Experience thing - I'd selected to allow it, rather than enable it, which I guess means I gave people the choice if they want to, but don't force it. I'll force it, as it is one more confusing screen removed. I'm still confused about why the Updates were apparently enabled. Silly question now, but can someone remind me that "team content" is please.
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 I'm baffled then as to why mine won't assign. It's obviously an RM issue and not an issue with the package.
enjay Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 @Edu-IT - CC3 or CC4? Maybe you could list your steps and paste the contents of the ini file here so we can check in case you've done Something Stupid .
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now