ICT_GUY Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Since the last patch was applied none of the clients are updateing or registering with the server, any ideas? Event viewer throws up some sync error, but not today, I have reinstalled from scratch but still nada. (also checked wus gpo)
ICT_GUY Posted October 14, 2009 Author Posted October 14, 2009 Yeah that tool is a little more indepth, I am needing to read the instructions,
ICT_GUY Posted October 14, 2009 Author Posted October 14, 2009 Ok seems to be working now, I will have to wait for the settings to tricle down to the clients.
ICT_GUY Posted October 16, 2009 Author Posted October 16, 2009 Arghhhh, Its still not work right, I only ever seem to see around 6 computers in the console. Some op in and then pop out for a while, clicking refresh does not help. Its set to show computers with any status. I have been through IIS and the settings there seem to be right, the diag tool for the client now has a clean bill of helath. Now the install said to point clients at server:8530/clientupdate Is this correct, the instructions that from MS say to point them at :8530 no slash no directory. hmmf
Jiser Posted October 16, 2009 Posted October 16, 2009 MM had a problem with no clients showing. Deleted susid key in registry. Seemed to work then. Might have 'old' one still.. 1
featured_spectre Posted October 17, 2009 Posted October 17, 2009 turn off the automatic apply of patches and updates, set it to download them and you will do them in the half terms, that way any problems you come across you have time to fix it.
Michael Posted October 17, 2009 Posted October 17, 2009 Workstations appearing then disappearing is due to duplicate SUS SIDs on the workstation. I presume this is since you've installed WSUS 3.0 SP2? I haven't installed it to any of my servers yet, still on WSUS 3.0 SP1. 1
Michael Posted October 17, 2009 Posted October 17, 2009 If you don't install in the default directory (which would be port 80), in AD specify the server location as: http://servername:8530 for both fields. Then try running gpupdate /force on a few machines. This won't resolve the duplicate SID however. You'll need to fix this, then all machines will 'check in' to WSUS. 1
ICT_GUY Posted October 20, 2009 Author Posted October 20, 2009 MM had a problem with no clients showing. Deleted susid key in registry. Seemed to work then. Might have 'old' one still.. Any idea of an easy way to test this or deploy it? Tearing my hair out here, though I am due to ghost the whole system soon.
Michael Posted October 20, 2009 Posted October 20, 2009 If you create a reg file which deletes the SUSClientId value (not the whole entry), once the machine is rebooted Windows will generate a new value then 'check in' to WSUS. 1
ICT_GUY Posted November 5, 2009 Author Posted November 5, 2009 A Windows 2000-based, Windows Server 2003-based, or Windows XP-based computer that was set up by using a Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP image does not appear in the WSUS console
Michael Posted November 5, 2009 Posted November 5, 2009 If you run this reg file silently at logon, when workstations reboot it should re-create SID information: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate] "SusClientId"="" "SusClientIdValidation"=hex: Perform a few tests and backup the existing information first however! 1
ICT_GUY Posted November 5, 2009 Author Posted November 5, 2009 This has been the problem, The MS fix involves installing reg.exe, from the win 2000 resource kit Then modifying you sysprep answerfile. I can confirm that this does work, though I have wasted approxy 25hrs on this ******* problem caused by an undocumented feature of the update. I am due to reimage the entire school anyhow so its not going to be a biggie to fix. Thankfully.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now