Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Since the last patch was applied none of the clients are updateing or registering with the server, any ideas? Event viewer throws up some sync error, but not today,

 

I have reinstalled from scratch but still nada. (also checked wus gpo)

Posted

Arghhhh,

 

Its still not work right,

 

I only ever seem to see around 6 computers in the console. Some op in and then pop out for a while, clicking refresh does not help. Its set to show computers with any status.

 

I have been through IIS and the settings there seem to be right, the diag tool for the client now has a clean bill of helath.

 

:(

 

Now the install said to point clients at server:8530/clientupdate Is this correct, the instructions that from MS say to point them at :8530 no slash no directory.

 

hmmf

Posted
Workstations appearing then disappearing is due to duplicate SUS SIDs on the workstation. I presume this is since you've installed WSUS 3.0 SP2? I haven't installed it to any of my servers yet, still on WSUS 3.0 SP1.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
If you don't install in the default directory (which would be port 80), in AD specify the server location as: http://servername:8530 for both fields. Then try running gpupdate /force on a few machines. This won't resolve the duplicate SID however. You'll need to fix this, then all machines will 'check in' to WSUS.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
MM had a problem with no clients showing. Deleted susid key in registry. Seemed to work then. Might have 'old' one still..

 

Any idea of an easy way to test this or deploy it? Tearing my hair out here, though I am due to ghost the whole system soon.

Posted
If you create a reg file which deletes the SUSClientId value (not the whole entry), once the machine is rebooted Windows will generate a new value then 'check in' to WSUS.
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

If you run this reg file silently at logon, when workstations reboot it should re-create SID information:

 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]
"SusClientId"=""
"SusClientIdValidation"=hex:

 

Perform a few tests and backup the existing information first however! :)

  • Thanks 1
Posted

This has been the problem,

 

The MS fix involves installing reg.exe, from the win 2000 resource kit :doh:

Then modifying you sysprep answerfile.

 

I can confirm that this does work, though I have wasted approxy 25hrs on this ******* problem caused by an undocumented feature of the update.

 

:censored:

 

I am due to reimage the entire school anyhow so its not going to be a biggie to fix. Thankfully.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...