tickmike Posted September 6, 2006 Posted September 6, 2006 Hi. And the next problem !. W2K server ... W2k workstations. On the server I've enabled Edit... Terminal services Edit end (basic) server and on a remote workstation I have 'remote desktop viewer' I was working on the sever and left some program running and was still showing on the desktop. I log off. Went to the remote workstation and logged on . But the desktop did not have any sign of this program running. So I logged off. I then used 'ultra VNC' viewer and there was my program running and showing on the desktop on the server. Am I missing the point about telnet viewer ( only just started to use it). Michael.
webman Posted September 7, 2006 Posted September 7, 2006 If you mean Terminal Services remote desktop (Telnet is remote text-based console), then what you describe is by design. Terminal Services handles remote logins as a separate login to the server than the one logged in locally on the server. However, VNC almost always uses the local display unless told otherwise. Just to confuse matters, Windows 2003 allows for Terminal Services to connect to the local session similar to VNC
Ric_ Posted September 7, 2006 Posted September 7, 2006 You are confusing Telnet and Remote Desktop for a start. Telnet is a command-line tool whilst Remote Desktop is used to remotely log into a GUI session. You seem to be after the local 'console' remotely. For this you would issue the command: mstsc /console /v By default (i.e. without the /console switch) you will create a new session or connect to a disconnected session. VNC only ever gives you what is going on at the server (like using the console switch).
Guest Posted September 7, 2006 Posted September 7, 2006 You seem to be after the local 'console' remotely. For this you would issue the command: mstsc /console /v Lean something new everyday. Cheers Ric.
ChrisH Posted September 7, 2006 Posted September 7, 2006 I use console all the time as you never run into the problems of not being able to log on due to connections and its the proper server desktop .
tickmike Posted September 7, 2006 Author Posted September 7, 2006 Hi. Yes I did say telnet, But yes its 'terminal service' . I was working at the school last night, so I moved an icon on the sever into the centre of the desktop > logged off, Went to the remote desktop viewer workstation and guess what the icon was in the same place with windows remote desktop viewer, but with ultra VNC it was were I just moved it to ?.
tickmike Posted September 7, 2006 Author Posted September 7, 2006 Different sessions. Please tell me more. :?
Guest Posted September 7, 2006 Posted September 7, 2006 You seem to be after the local 'console' remotely. For this you would issue the command: Code: mstsc /console /v By default (i.e. without the /console switch) you will create a new session or connect to a disconnected session. VNC only ever gives you what is going on at the server (like using the console switch).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now