HCC Posted September 3, 2009 Posted September 3, 2009 Hi, I've got lots of staff and student computers with flash 9 that now needs updating to flash 10 because lot of websites moan about it. All staff and student users are non-admins. I've tried to do this in the past with an MSI, but it caused me an even bigger problem, I ended up with numerous versions installed and had to visit lots of computers to fix the conflict. I'm aware of the flash uninstaller and if I update a computer manually, I uninstall all previous versions then update with the newest version. I'd like to automate this with a logon or startup script (we use kixscript usually). So that: It checks if the version of flash is current It it is it does nothing. If not it first runs the uninstaller to remove old versions. Then installs the current version (With all of this invisible to the users) Does anyone have a script that does this or is there a better way? Why has a company as big as Adobe not got a better way of managing flash??? If only I could manage it with something like WSUS or EPO. Thanks,
FN-GM Posted September 4, 2009 Posted September 4, 2009 You won't be able to do it as a login script but a startup should work. I would get the MSI and troubleshoot why it doesn't work
mrbios Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 Going to bump this up as this has become a major problem for me as late and was curious if you managed to get anything implemented?
Arcath Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I use the MSI, when they release an update i just ship out the latest versions to the clients.
sidewinder Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 MSI's do work fine for me but I also find that old versions often get left behind. Not sure whether it specifically causes any problems though, as long as it uses the newest version
sparkeh Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I use the .msi and GPO to ship out the latest version along with a second package to copy a settings file across. Haven't had a great many issues with this except the random issues where a standard user can access flash content but thats easily sorted.
sted Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 if its always been deployed via msi you can set it to "immediately remove" software when you remove it from a policy. Then add your new msi as a completely new deploy setting on reboot the pcs should uninstall v old and install v new afterwards
mrbios Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I've done a test deployment of the redistributable to one room without removing version 9, seems im lucky as it has worked perfectly, and from now on i can just remove the GPO and create a new one like sted says, simples
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now