Popular Post 6Foot2 Posted July 20, 2009 Popular Post Posted July 20, 2009 Found this picture today: Computer Hardware Chart Our last Head of ICT used to 'go mad' for posters like these. I might print this one tomorrow and show it to our current Head of ICT. See what you think. 6
powdarrmonkey Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 Hmm, interesting enough, but it doesn't explain why things are how they are (like, why should I use a SATA connector over an IDE?). It's not really classroom material IMO.
Michael Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 I'd say I've seen or know most of those, it's a good example, but I agree it isn't good for classroom material unless you have a class of geeks like us lot! One that has got my head scratching though is a 6 or 8 pin PCI-E (near the bottom right). This is used for PCI-E Graphics cards, but I thought these were only 6 pin. Not seen a PSU with an 8 pin. It could be quite dangerous as the 8 pin CPU 12v looks exactly the same (so it would fit). Most are still 4 pin, but newer server boards especially have an 8 pin CPU 12v.
Jamman960 Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 I've been to a fair few schools with computers pinned to walls with the parts labelled... I'll never forget the one with the case labelled up as "The Harddrive" bloody teachers! As above the poster is a bit ott for a normal classroom
SYNACK Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 Great poster though, no thanks in this forum but rep++ from me.
powdarrmonkey Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 One that has got my head scratching though is a 6 or 8 pin PCI-E (near the bottom right). This is used for PCI-E Graphics cards, but I thought these were only 6 pin. Not seen a PSU with an 8 pin. It could be quite dangerous as the 8 pin CPU 12v looks exactly the same (so it would fit). Most are still 4 pin, but newer server boards especially have an 8 pin CPU 12v. PCI-E 2's two extra pins are an additional 12v rail to provide a maximum 150W power, instead of the original PCI-E specification of 75W.
OllieC Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 How very geeky. Still got one of those beastly VESA cards somewhere along with my collection of soundblaster 16s.
Michael Posted July 20, 2009 Posted July 20, 2009 PCI-E 2's two extra pins are an additional 12v rail to provide a maximum 150W power That would explain it. I thought it would be something like that. I find specifications seem to be changing more frequently these days due to lack of power. 150W for a graphics card is quite a lot really. Not really very green
AdamK Posted July 21, 2009 Posted July 21, 2009 Thanks, Just printed that in A3 and laminated it ready to go in the computer classrooms over the summer
6Foot2 Posted July 21, 2009 Author Posted July 21, 2009 (edited) This is embarrasing: Our Grid is blocking this site: I will have to download it at home and send it in. However to continue a theme I can add these to this thread [see attached]Desktop RAM Cards and Slots.bmpInternal Data cables and Ports.bmpPower Cables.bmp Edited July 21, 2009 by 6Foot2 Add content to this post.
p858snake Posted July 21, 2009 Posted July 21, 2009 This is embarrasing: Our Grid is blocking this site: It's hosted on DeviantART so it should be blocked.... It has alot of "mature" content.
6Foot2 Posted July 26, 2009 Author Posted July 26, 2009 Can't edit posts in this forum [?] so I would like to add this URL as an alternative to the DeviantART location: Computer Hardware Chart
Simcfc73 Posted July 26, 2009 Posted July 26, 2009 Thats just used up all my fair usage policy for today... man thats big
6Foot2 Posted July 26, 2009 Author Posted July 26, 2009 (edited) Thats just used up all my fair usage policy for today... man thats big Just downloaded it from the alternate site [above] Checked the file size: 3.01 Mb when saved as PNG. Downloading it from the originally posted site [DeviantART] gives 24.1 Mb when saved as PNG. Edited July 26, 2009 by 6Foot2
6Foot2 Posted August 21, 2009 Author Posted August 21, 2009 (edited) While browsing the web at home this evening I came across this website: Grumpy Old Teacher This page has a zipped folder with 36 educationally inspirational posters. Theme seems to be: ICT is not... or ICT Is about.... or Peace and quiet... etc. You might find something you like. Edit: Other non-ICT based classroom posters can be downloaded from this page: Link [posters have to be downloaded individually but can be previewed] Edited August 21, 2009 by 6Foot2 Add content to the post.
6Foot2 Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 The original image has been updated [Now V 1.7C] http://i.imgur.com/VzCF2.jpg Version 1.7 hot off the press. I have added even more ports, slots and cards. As well as improved pictures of some existing hardware and fixed some errors. Prints are available. original size 24x34 @ 180DPI ~17.2MB at time of upload. I am still seeking hi-resolution image for: PAC611 socket 4 LGA 1366 mPGA989 LGA1160 G34 64bit RDIMM XDIMM XDR ::EDIT:: Version 1.7c has been posted in 1.7's place, as requested the fullsize image is a .png, spelling errors have been corrected, minor errors have been fixed. Link back to [DeviantArt] source: Computer hardware poster 1.7 by ~Sonic840 on deviantART
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now