emdudley Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 I've been working with a school which is having some trouble with their email systems (they use something called IMail) on a CC3 network. I looked at exchange servers but they seem very expensive. I also had a look at google apps education and this looks to provide all the functionality of an exchange server for free! It doesn't look that easy to set up though, has anyone else got any experience of this? I guess its possible to set it up to authenticate against active directory?
CyberNerd Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 We use the opensource/free version of this: Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac It is easy to setup and links with active directory. it offers all the features of exchange, plus some extras.
kmount Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 There is a method of sync'ing AD to it. google-apps-for-your-domain-ldap-sync - Google Code I'm a bit of a zimbra man myself, I don't know how much 'administrative tools' you can get with the hosted google apps provision to investigate incidents such as cyber bullying etc internally.
Sylv3r Posted July 5, 2009 Posted July 5, 2009 Another vote for Zimbra here, but you will obviously need the time and a bit of Linux knowledge to help you set it up.
Marci Posted July 11, 2009 Posted July 11, 2009 What specific issues with iMail are they having?? (It's Ipswitch Mail Server - works fine for us - generally not a lot can go wrong with it to be honest as it's that basic)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now