Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don’t know whether there has been a post about this but here goes, having over the last few years massively upgraded and added to both the network and computer suites. I now have problem in that in several years time this equipment is going to need to be replaced on a revolving program. I have started to design this in spreadsheet to help me track when they will need replacing but was just wondering if any one has an, of the self version I could use or knows of any software that could do this.

 

Cheers

Posted

There's been a thread on when ppl dispose of PCs - after how long - but we're all different. I think the sensible figure was replace after 5 years, but then thin client setups can easily double that lifespan. Mean schools like ours still have 11 year old beasts in service.

 

It is sensible to write PCs off when they start to become high maintenance.

 

Don't know if any inventory s/w would set dates for disposal. If you're planning for TCO there's a usefull spreadsheet to do all the calcs on ...step forward: becta's investment planner:- http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.php?section=pr&catcode=ss_to_pr_su_03&rid=10964

Posted

We have a simple procedure ...

 

Persuade the head to give you lots of money!

 

On a serious note ... we replace 60-70 workstations and 30 laptops each year. we tend to replace the 2 ICT classrooms and the machines in there are moved to another room (since they are usually 2 years old most departments would jump at them) ... We then take the machines from that room into somewhere else ...

 

Every department gets a bit of an upgrade.

 

We are also starting on rooms of thin clients ... this soaks up the ooooollllldddd machines.

 

Servers are replaced at the end of their warranty ... at a rate of 3 / 4 a year.

 

Network hardware is phased out after 6 years but the same migration policy applies ... improve at the core and move stackable layer 3 core switches to the edge.

Posted

Cheers Mark for the link to that. Have been looking on Becta but its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

It was sort of what I was looking for thou more to do with putting individual computer suites and ICT equipment purchases then the number of years before they needed to be replaced i.e. 4 to 5 years.

This is so I can work out what we'll have to replace year on year to work out budget requirement costs each year.

I did have something I got from a training course once but I can’t seem to find it, I do know it was in a spreadsheet I suppose I could always adapt the Becta thing but why re-invent the wheel when someone else has done it!

Posted
cheers for that, having had a look at it that was what i wanted. its just i am worried that we are buying ICT equipment like its going out of fashion just bought 24 wireless laptops to create 2 more wireless suites , aganist my recommdation as well as having 4 existing computer suites 4 half suites that include 20 wireless laptops and in the end we will get a nasty surprise several years down the line because we failed to plan in TCO's over the coming years. Of which all of the computers in college has been updated over the the last 2 years thanks to specialist status trust money.
Posted

We went down the wireless route (against my advice) and over 200 laptops later the facts are sinking into the SMT that it will be expensive to maintain them.

 

Hence future budgets will have a larger maintenance pot than previously.

 

You have to consider the long term school development plan too when planning future replacements and upgrades. Where does the school want to be in 5 years as far as ICT is concerned and what other school developments will have an impact on IT. eg - if not already - will there be a 6th form, are more classrooms planned, that sort of thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...