ICTNUT Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 Hi All, After releasing the Administrators Nasty File Search I have decided to look into creating an "All In One" Admin Toolbox. A kind of one stop app for all (User creation, folder sharing with permissions, Active directory manipulation, printers, etc, etc) But I need your help, what do you want to see in it. I will look at each suggestion in turn and based on it's merits i.e. is it going to be of benefit to all to have it in there we will shortlist for the initial release. I will be making it modular so you would need to down load the base install and then depending on what you require simply download and install that particular module. So come on guys this is your big moment to get a tool that your have provided input for and one that could save us all a huge amount of time. I look forward to your replies.
tarquel Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 Good plan - was gonna do the same myself but a colaborative effort will be better no doubt An app that you dont need any dependancies would be useful i.e. a single .exe file would be indeal with perhaps a .ini-style config file that allows you to change paths in it to suit your setup - if you see what I mean You could then have it on a flash drive or network share - anywhere theoretically Ideas for content in it I'll keep thinking of tho Cheers Nath
ICTNUT Posted August 15, 2005 Author Posted August 15, 2005 I agree it does need to be a single exe that was one of the reasons behind keeping NFS 2005 as a single exe, to keep it portable and small, but it does ultimately come down to what people want in it. Some things may well require some kind of dependant. Most of the stuff I put together uses the registry to store settings but I suppose an ini or a dat file would be better. I do think though all changes should be made from within the app itself and not edit the config files directly just incase of corruption etc.. I am working on a user interface based loosing around the look and feel of M$ Antispyware tool will post up a screen shot soon. If anyone else has any UI suggestions let me know.
russdev Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 i think that is what the project is going to be so why dont you get involved in that? Russ
russdev Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 project forum here... http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=31 start of design specs here http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku.php?id=design_specs Russ
ICTNUT Posted August 15, 2005 Author Posted August 15, 2005 @Russdev, Cheers for the pointer mate, will zip over and take a look.
Dos_Box Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 That is the one I was referring to on the homepage. If we can pull this off it will save much wailing and gnashing of teeth throughout the land.
MkII Posted August 15, 2005 Posted August 15, 2005 Damn! ICTNUT you're a human dynamo! @DB Wailing and gnashing going on here alright!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now