Gerry Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Our IT team is holding a "Roadshow" next week for our staff. I'm planning to demonstrate Windows 7 and Ubuntu. At the moment I will show the basic look and feel of both OS's, show off Compiz' eye-candy and Ubuntu's range of free software (focusing on education). Does anyone have any other ideas? Anything I can use to attract people?
BrianG Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 You'll have to let us know what the staff reaction is to your Ubuntu showcase. I'm wanting to push Ubuntu in a couple of my schools, albeit along side windows computers, but never the less, I still want to get the ball rolling. It would be interesting to hear about your staff reaction to it
Grommit Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Our IT team is holding a "Roadshow" next week for our staff. I'm planning to demonstrate Windows 7 and Ubuntu. At the moment I will show the basic look and feel of both OS's, show off Compiz' eye-candy and Ubuntu's range of free software (focusing on education). Does anyone have any other ideas? Anything I can use to attract people? Sorry but please explain on how Windows 7 is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than XP ?.. they still will do their units in Office
powdarrmonkey Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Sorry but please explain on how Windows 7 is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than XP ?.. they still will do their units in Office Er.. your users are going to have to use it?
Gerry Posted June 18, 2009 Author Posted June 18, 2009 U-bun-tu buns - like that one! Might try and make an Ubuntu stamp/cookie cutter one day... We won't be giving out any freebies except for a few small prizes. Didn't mean to mislead, I'm not showing Ubuntu as if it will be fully/partially adopted by the college. I'm showing it mainly as an alternative for the home PC/laptop/netbook. Education-wise, hoping maybe they'll see something they can use to teach with e.g. music dept. could use Rosegarden and/or Ardour. Then it's up to them to ask for it. Will also be pushing OpenOffice as a good alternative - fed up with staff/student having problems opening Works documents! Can't believe some people are still using that crap!
localzuk Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Sorry but please explain on how Windows 7 is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than XP ?.. they still will do their units in Office Sorry but please explain on how Windows XP is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than 95 ?... they still will do their units in Office.
Gerry Posted June 18, 2009 Author Posted June 18, 2009 Sorry but please explain on how Windows 7 is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than XP ?.. they still will do their units in Office Eventually the college will have to use it, but I was thinking more for home use as after October (probably January...) Windows 7 will be on new PC's. We're mainly looking for feedback from the staff. The only thing that's really aimed at college use in the near future will be Office 2007 as we're doing the switch this summer.
BrianG Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 I completely agree with the comment on trying to use open office at home more.I hate it when people come in with Works documents and expect to be able to open them with office. or they do something to their laptop / computer and want works putting back on it, they don't have the cds etc.. and you can't get hold of it anywhere.
powdarrmonkey Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Will also be pushing OpenOffice as a good alternative - fed up with staff/student having problems opening Works documents! Can't believe some people are still using that crap! Microsoft Works, the ultimate irony.
p858snake Posted June 18, 2009 Posted June 18, 2009 Sorry but please explain on how Windows 7 is going to make any difference to the Curriculum rather than XP ?.. they still will do their units in Office For decent IT subjects that teach networking and server enviroments, how xp/vista/seven interact differntly with other versions.
Geoff Posted June 19, 2009 Posted June 19, 2009 I completely agree with the comment on trying to use open office at home more.I hate it when people come in with Works documents and expect to be able to open them with office. Download details: Microsoft Works 6?9 File Converter It's an MSI, so easy to deploy on your domain PCs.
powdarrmonkey Posted June 19, 2009 Posted June 19, 2009 People will point at Ubuntu and the open source software and ask suspiciously 'why is all this free?'. Have a good answer for them. I installed Linux on a friend's PC and when I showed him all the free goodies available, he gave me a Bart Simpson-style 'gotcha' as if he was getting pirate software. It took a while to explain.... Good point - make you explain the difference between free beer and free speech as well (truly free software is the latter).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now