alextreadwell Posted June 12, 2009 Posted June 12, 2009 Morning all over the past few weeks we have had problems with the ADSL line that comes in to school for monitoring the CCTV. The CCTV company say it the length on the phone extention to the caretakers office thats causing us the problem and I have no doubt it proberbly is, as it runs the lenght of the school. So I sugested that we put the box ast the other end of school and use the school network to get to the camera box at the other end. which will allow me to set up a vpn and it will give us more use of the costly ADSL line we have. Now comes the problem while I did a ccna course a few years ago since then I have not had the chance to do any thing like this as the only networking stuff I get to do is internal as we have our broadband provided by our LEA and I have resisted the temptation to blow out the password and fiddle. Does any one have a VPN guide for dummys or any tips on what i should be looking out for when it all stops working :-)
john Posted June 12, 2009 Posted June 12, 2009 Just a random thought, ever thought of just having the ADSL router at the point of entry and then cat5 down to the caretakers office instead, much easier and cheaper.
alextreadwell Posted June 12, 2009 Author Posted June 12, 2009 should have said its a long way (100m +) from where the socket comes in to the building also we have the a vigor 2600 plus router thats vpn capable that was provided by CCTV company so no cost there only cost of 2 network points and my time to set up, also office staff have asked for desktop access at home and I would like to be able to get in as well as the head
powdarrmonkey Posted June 12, 2009 Posted June 12, 2009 Two considerations: 1. Go back to your notes and research it thoroughly before even beginning. Mixing two gateways is tricky enough alone, without it being publicly accessible as well. 2. If your main line is provided by the LEA, you almost certainly can't expose things via other means without contravening their conditions. The risk of reverse attacks to other nodes on their network is considerable.
alextreadwell Posted June 12, 2009 Author Posted June 12, 2009 this is the sort of stuff i was thinking about I'm sure people have done this would putting an ipcop box in between removed this risk
powdarrmonkey Posted June 12, 2009 Posted June 12, 2009 would putting an ipcop box in between removed this risk Consult your LEA, they may or may not consider it satisfactory.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now