ICTSM Posted May 22, 2009 Posted May 22, 2009 I know a chap who has had the same roaming profile for years (since XP came out). Now for some reason, he is unable to log himself in. Windows reports a security error and will log him in using a temp profile...etc. Since his profile is his life (literally), I am not able to remove it and give him a new one. To that end lies my question...Are there any tools that will attempt a repair of the profile without deleting anything?
pooley Posted May 22, 2009 Posted May 22, 2009 Why not create a new profile and copy across his My docs, favourites etc, even his application data can be moved?
elsiegee40 Posted May 22, 2009 Posted May 22, 2009 In these circumstances, I would rename his old profile. Then let a new profile be created making sure everything possible is redirected in this one. Then copy the relevant bits of the old profile into the new one. To some extent I do this with profiles here as I use it to rescue Favorites... personal preferences for the setup of M$ Word, Excel, etc are lost and that's the users problem!
Michael Posted May 24, 2009 Posted May 24, 2009 You have several options. Rename the existing profile and restore their profile from a backup or secondly, create a new profile and simply copy the Favorites folder. Their My Documents should be mapped and not part of the profile as such. This is the recommended approach.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now