localzuk Posted May 20, 2009 Posted May 20, 2009 I have made a start on our new Squid box to replace our aging ISA box, and have hit a small roadbump. I've set it up very basically so far - namely defining the access rules (ie. saying people on our IP range can use it), setting the cache_peer rule for the parent proxy (swgfl) and set the visible_name value (morbo.schooldomain.etc...). Now, when I go to the hostname direct (namely morbo:8080, as that is the port I am using) it gives me the error message I expect - invalid request. But if I set the box as the proxy in Chrome (or anything else), it times out on everything. It worked once, for the first request I made to google.co.uk but that was it. Everything else just dies. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Anything you would like to see, logs etc... can be provided.
localzuk Posted May 20, 2009 Author Posted May 20, 2009 Ok, well. That was dumb of me... never_direct allow all is the fix here. It was trying to process requests directly. Stupid thing.
localzuk Posted May 20, 2009 Author Posted May 20, 2009 I blame the operator Well, to be honest, i've not played with Squid much before, and there are a lot of settings - this one being one that wasn't in any of the 'quickstart' tutorials around the net. I feel a wiki entry coming on.
ind1ekid Posted May 21, 2009 Posted May 21, 2009 never_direct allow all is the fix here. Am i right thinking that this setting makes all requests go through a parent proxy, providing you have one? So because im on embc, it needs to be set as such so the requests get forwarded through that peer?
localzuk Posted May 21, 2009 Author Posted May 21, 2009 Am i right thinking that this setting makes all requests go through a parent proxy, providing you have one? So because im on embc, it needs to be set as such so the requests get forwarded through that peer? You would be correct.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now