JayR Posted June 28, 2006 Posted June 28, 2006 Hello, I was wondering if anybody new of any programs that you can run over a network which can produce a hardware spec of each computer on the domain, and return it to the server, preferably with the dns name or ip. Any help would be much loved. JayR
BKGarry Posted June 28, 2006 Posted June 28, 2006 Hi Jay, I set up and use OCS Reports here http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/ It is a great program windows setups are really easy and the results are lovely. Email me if you would like a screan shot of the reports or anything. Gaz
JayR Posted June 28, 2006 Author Posted June 28, 2006 Thanks Gaz, I just downloaded the destructions to see what it involves and easy didn't spring to mind lol. Not all to experienced with apache or pearl, well not at all really. I think im using the same one you sudgested does it sound right? JayR
BKGarry Posted June 28, 2006 Posted June 28, 2006 It lists all of those bits, but the setup file binary just installs them and there is a lil bit of step by step post install config afterward all in the destructions. I managed to do it in 30mins total with it full deployed. And i know jack about it. I take it you are using it in windows with the windows binaries Gaz
SteveD Posted June 29, 2006 Posted June 29, 2006 or this http://winventory.sourceforge.net/ XP ish front end, been using it for a while without problems.
Gatt Posted June 30, 2006 Posted June 30, 2006 Using Netpoint and i gotta say - excellent piece of software - and free
spc-rocket Posted June 30, 2006 Posted June 30, 2006 Just wondring what ports the neutex (netpoints) uses, We got it installed but its not displaying or capturing anything. We have setup the schedule but its just doesn't work. We got the windows firewall enabled on the workstations so need to know the ports this software. Just wanted to ask here before emailing their tech support. Any step by step destructions?? TIA, Ash.
Ric_ Posted June 30, 2006 Posted June 30, 2006 @ashok: I have a similar problem to you, in that NetPoint only inventories my workstation (which is hosting the system) and no thers! I sent an email to the Neutex people and will let you know anything I hear back from them.
Ric_ Posted July 3, 2006 Posted July 3, 2006 @ashok: I got a reply back from the Neutex people... very helpful. Hey Ric, Please check the Application section in Event Viewer to see if there are any errors from NetPoint. Also, please make sure your systems meet the requirements at http://www.neutex.net/NetPoint/SysReqs.aspx. NetPoint requires SQL Server 2000 and will not work correctly with SQL Server 2005 at this time. If you don’t have a license for SQL Server 2000 you can download MSDE for free at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e2dfc8d-c20e-4446-99a9-b7f0213f8bc5&DisplayLang=en. The FAQ located at http://www.neutex.net/NetPoint/Faq.aspx contains some simple instructions on how to install MSDE. I highly recommend for you to uninstall NetPoint (and SQL Server 2005 if you only installed it for NetPoint), install MSDE, and reinstall NetPoint. Also, your system running NetPoint must be part of an Active Directory domain. The account that runs the NetPoint service must have administrative rights to the systems on your network and read access to Active Directory. Let me know if you still encounter problems with NetPoint after following these instructions. Thanks, Shannon I ignored the stuff about not using MS SQL 2005 and tried changing to a different account for the service. This did the trick for me... strange, isn't it? Good luck! B)
spc-rocket Posted July 3, 2006 Posted July 3, 2006 HI Ric, Thanks for the info, but we haven't even got far getting the local station's details. Its running on Windows 2003 SP1 server with MSDE 2000 installed. I got the correct account and the server is part of a domain (member). I'll have a look at the event viewer to see if this shed any light on this. Ash.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now