Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We have some Stone machines here that have been rebuilt - around half of them are not updating using WSUS. It's really strange as the other half are.

 

We are having to reinstall the Windows Update Agent manually on the machines which are not working. This has the effect of fixing them and they then get their updates.

 

However, can anyone advise on why this would be happening? All of the machines were RIS built so there should be no issues and they were all built on the same day.

 

Gareth

Posted

I take it that only you/techs have admin rights on the pc?

What firewall do you have also as I have found some issues with WUA updates delivered from the net before WSUS gets in there.

Posted
I take it that only you/techs have admin rights on the pc?

What firewall do you have also as I have found some issues with WUA updates delivered from the net before WSUS gets in there.

 

Hi ZH,

 

I've made sure the firewall is off across the network via GPO to test the machines.

 

LIke I say - installing the Windows Update Agent manually on the troublesome computers has worked and the two machines I tested this on are now showing 100% updated.

 

GJE

Posted

Hello,

 

Have you tried:

 

WUAUCLT /detectnow

 

on the machines from the cmd prompt instead of re-install? Also have you checked the C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log - might give you some insight

Posted
Hello,

 

Have you tried:

 

WUAUCLT /detectnow

 

on the machines from the cmd prompt instead of re-install? Also have you checked the C:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log - might give you some insight

 

Yes - I run that command but it was giving me an error in the Event Viewer - like the one shown below:

 

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

 

 

Posted

Hi

 

Try this in a bat file and then run the bat file on the client pc.

 

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f

cls

@echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

 

Richard

Posted
You would need the service to be running, go to services.msc from run and check if 'Automatic Updates' is set to enabled and running; i don't know why it'd stop though :confused:
Posted
I've made sure the firewall is off across the network via GPO to test the machines.

 

Hi

I was actually meaning external net firewall/proxy rather then local pc firewalls as allows are normally in already for WUA.

Posted

We had this problem on a few machines and deleted the following registry entry

 

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

 

Rebooted the PC and 99% of them connected within 24 hours.

Posted
We had this problem on a few machines and deleted the following registry entry

 

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

 

Rebooted the PC and 99% of them connected within 24 hours.

 

 

That's exactly what I do after reimaging machines using RIS\WDS Legacy mode. Apparently sysprep is supposed to reset this value as it will be set for the original machine you imaged from, but experience tells me that this often does not happen. A little script to delete this entry does the job once the imaging process finishes. Once you reboot again the entry is recreated with the correct settings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...