Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a need to boot direct to an application, rather than running a DM (GDM or KDM etc...) and then a display manager or window manager.

 

Instead, I want to boot straight into a citrix session, or a firefox session (depending on the client).

 

And I don't feel comfortable using thinstation for these roles either.

 

I know what I want to do can be done, as I have seen it done in various places, I just need nudging in the right direction, as my Google-Foo is not working today.

Posted
Without a window manager, you won't get Useful Things like a title bar, resize handles, etc, etc.

 

Those things are unnecessary for a full screen web browser... In fact I don't want them :)

 

It is definitely done without a WM - Lancaster Uni does it with their library systems used for browsing their catalog for example. They boot straight into Firefox, no DM, no WM etc...

Posted
May I ask why you don't want to use thinstation?

 

Because it won't work nicely with the machines and I am finding it hard to get a response on how to fix the issue... Not much use to me if I can't get X to work on the machines at all :)

Posted
Because it won't work nicely with the machines and I am finding it hard to get a response on how to fix the issue... Not much use to me if I can't get X to work on the machines at all :)

 

Can you point me to the thread on EduGeek where you posted the issue? I might be able to help.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...