ICT_GUY Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 I'm having a problem with office 2007 saving to a network share. I get a file permission error. It seems to be a comon problem, but I have yet to see the solution. I have full read write & modify permissions on the folder. I can copy&paste create, modify, basically anything but not via word 2007. Anyone know of the quick fix?
xeroxxe Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 What anitvirus do you use? Sometimes bit defender makes this problem occur, perhaps trying to disable it while you make the change and then re-enabeling.
RabbieBurns Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 never had any problems with office 2007 and network shares. Are you sure you've got both the correct share and the correct security permissions ? edit: didnt read you properly... ignore me
RabbieBurns Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 from google, it would point to AV, as xeroxee says Can't do a "Save As" to a network drive using Word 2007 We determined that the problem was actually with the Antivirus software we use. In the settings there was a "Protect Network Drives" option that was enabled by default. Apparently this conflicts with the way Office 2007 handles network shares. Disabling the option resolved the issue for us on both XP and Vista computers
ICT_GUY Posted March 26, 2009 Author Posted March 26, 2009 That's the thing, the AV is not installed yet.
mac_shinobi Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 (edited) After a bit of googling found this : I finally found the solution to the Outlook 2007/Office 2007 getting an error when saving to share on 2003 server. I added the user to the Share permissions with full control and this resolved my issue. I got help from another posting that said this. it may be this is related to a known problem with Win32 API function 'ReplaceFile' (I'm not sure if Excel/Word use it, but I know that often applications first write data to a temporary file and later use 'ReplaceFile' to create the wanted file). You can find info about that problem here: BUG: ReplaceFile() Requires WRITE_DAC Access on Replacement File A solution would be to either give the user 'Full Access' to the share on the server (not the directory-security, the share-access rights) or to add the user to the local administrator group on the server ... Hope that helps, http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296264 ^^^^ dont forget this link which requires editing a registry key ^^^^ Edited March 26, 2009 by mac_shinobi 1
srochford Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 A solution would be to either give the user 'Full Access' to the share on the server (not the directory-security, the share-access rights) or to add the user to the local administrator group on the server ... I always set up shares with full access and use NTFS permissions to control access. I know that there can be some security benefits when the share permissions are restricted but there also seem to be weird problems - this looks like one of them. If I have a share which I know should be read only then it makes sense to make the share and NTFS permissions read only but for anything else I'd put full control on the share and just lock down with NTFS permissions.
ICT_GUY Posted March 31, 2009 Author Posted March 31, 2009 Ok this was a strange error that took me quite a while to fix. It was nothing to do with file permissions, but disabling offline files has cured the problem. I found this page. Cannot Rename or Move a File or Folder in Vista Fix - Vista Forums But I did not install the reg file. I can now save and modify files. I shall see if it stays fixed.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now