leon032 Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 I got a question on a server that is being hosted for me at a remote site. The server is a Windows 2003 Server and I am going to be running three websites of this server. The dilemma I have is that one of the webpage is going to be update by another person. I can set an account for him so he can login through remote desktop the way I do. The only thing is that I don’t want that person to have the rights to change anything except what is in a particular folder, which would be that one web page. I don’t really care if he can see my other folders(websites) but I just don’t want him to be able to make changes to any other folders or any settings on the server. If you guys have an idea as how I can go about doing this it will be appreciated. If worse comes to worse I will have to tell that person I cannot give him that right. Which according to my boss that would be fine too.
SYNACK Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 Do they actually need RDP access, you could just set them up with FTP access to their site folder. Opening up RDP on a web facing server can be problimatic security wise. There is also a web based configuration utility for IIS which you may be able to delegate control of only the apropriate site to the persons username. How to remotely administer Internet Information Services in Windows Server 2003
ICTNUT Posted March 26, 2009 Posted March 26, 2009 I agree with synack, you really don't want anyone other than the server admin to have desktop access, if all they are doing is editing web pages then FTP is the perfect way forward as you can restrict them to only the folders they need access to and is a low security risk. This should help you out: How To Set Up an FTP Server in Windows Server 2003 And this : How To Limit Access to a FTP Site in Windows Server 2003
leon032 Posted March 30, 2009 Author Posted March 30, 2009 Thanks for your suggestions. I will be doing just that.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now