moggy Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 I'm new to this Sharepoint thing and am getting a bit cheesed! After 2 days trying to get it working I'm sure I need your help. The system I'm working on is Windows 2003 server with SQL Express 8 and Sharepoint 3. I'm RDPing into the server and the sequence is: Created a Web Application which, when I Click on Web Application from Application Management, shows it as http://its/ Created a Site Collection using Team Collection just so I can practise. Clicking on Site Collection List shows it as URL http://its/ . When I try to connect to the site I get IE cannot display the webpage. In IIS if: Right click on the Default Website and select browse brings up the Under Construction page Do the same for the Sharepoint Central Admin site I get the login box and can login to the Admin page Do the same for the Site Collection ITS I get the cannot display webpage. The three sites are on different ports. Help!
jamesb Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 If you go to http://localhost: on the server does it then bring up the its site?
moggy Posted March 20, 2009 Author Posted March 20, 2009 If you go to http://localhost: on the server does it then bring up the its site? Thanks James, but no it fails the same way - IE cannot display the webpage
jamesb Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 In that case, if you go to IIS manager again but instead of attempting to browse to the site directory, browse to a particular file in the site does anything come up? If not, try making a simple HTML file while displays a test message, drop it into the virtual directory and try browsing to that. If none of the above works then it sounds like your alternate access mapping is faulty and would need looking at. If it does work then it may be something as simple as default documents not being set.
jdoyle Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 have you created a site within the site collection?
apearce Posted March 20, 2009 Posted March 20, 2009 When you created the application - did you assign it to a current IIS or a new ISS? Can you see the web.config when you click on the site in IIS?
moggy Posted March 20, 2009 Author Posted March 20, 2009 Thanks all, I'm not ignoring your suggestions/questions it's just one of those Fridays so I won't be able to do much more till next week. Thanks, again.
mattmoo Posted March 23, 2009 Posted March 23, 2009 For some reason when i created my installation i had to add a DNS entry for "Intranet" wioth the local IP address so that the DNS servers would point to the right place. I think IIS setup the host headers ok but DNS wouldn't setup automatically. I hope this helps Matt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now