dhicks Posted February 3, 2009 Posted February 3, 2009 Hello All, Just an interesting thing to point out if you've got a cupboard full of old keyboards that you're contemplating throwing out: IBM Model M keyboards seem to be going for around £30 apiece on eBay. -- David Hicks
synaesthesia Posted February 3, 2009 Posted February 3, 2009 Oh happy days, the keyboards that would withstand replacing willow bats for the school cricket team and still survive leather-on-(plastic?) for the receptionist to use later on. Very satisfying clickity-clack when you type on them. You know full well you're typing, and so does everyone around you. Built to withstand anything. But will they withstand student abuse?
powdarrmonkey Posted February 3, 2009 Posted February 3, 2009 Hmm, they were damned good keyboards.. I'm tempted to get one, I could do with a board with the same sized caps, to interchange.
CyberNerd Posted February 3, 2009 Posted February 3, 2009 I'm on my second model M. I'm sure I payed more than £30 for this one - it's a 1391406 like this: Care and feeding of an IBM Model M 1391406 keyboard
dhicks Posted February 3, 2009 Author Posted February 3, 2009 I'm on my second model M. Oh, I have one myself - after the C64 we had an IBM PS/1 at home when I was little, and I've never really gotten the hang of these sissy non-IBM keyboards that break after a little bit of a pounding. I think I picked mine up in Computer Resale in Cambridge. I've got a nasty feeling, though, that we might have turfed out a bunch of 1391406's last summer when we had a bit of a clearout - at £30-£50 a time we could have funded this year's ICT budget had we sold them on eBay... -- David Hicks
powdarrmonkey Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I've got a nasty feeling, though, that we might have turfed out a bunch of 1391406's last summer when we had a bit of a clearout - at £30-£50 a time we could have funded this year's ICT budget had we sold them on eBay... sacrilege!
Ric_ Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I'm on my second model M. Might have known that the only person ever to break one would be an EduGeek member
JJonas Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Might have known that the only person ever to break one would be an EduGeek member I broke one when I spilled a pint of Guiness in it!
synaesthesia Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Heh I know Computer Resale very well, and I worked for the company from where he'd have sourced those Model M's Shame really, we had BOXES of them. They were soon sent off to their recycling depot for the plastics to be stripped, ground down and turned into a Robin Reliant.
Ric_ Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I broke one when I spilled a pint of Guiness in it! OK... the only two people! (I'll let you off with the Guiness... I'd probably break if you spilt a pint of Guiness on me!)
Griffo Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I sold a couple I had lying about last year on eBay, got about £28 each for em
dhicks Posted February 4, 2009 Author Posted February 4, 2009 I sold a couple I had lying about last year on eBay, got about £28 each for em Right: I figure I can fund a whole damn 3-floor ICT suite upgrade by exploiting the gullibility of noobs to surrender their "outdated" IBM keyboards... Do you reckon Dell "QuietKey" keyboards count? -- David Hicks
Griffo Posted February 5, 2009 Posted February 5, 2009 I still have several left. There was no point in them sitting on the shelf doing nothing but gather dust when someone who clearly wanted them may as well have them. Cleared a warehouse full of old PC stuff stuff a few years ago, mostly Dell's but a few IBM bits that I kept, including a few 286's
CyberNerd Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 I just seen this slashdot about model M's Slashdot | Old-School Keyboard Makes Comeback of Sorts apparently they are still being manufactured in the US Unicomp Keyboards
mattx Posted March 27, 2009 Posted March 27, 2009 http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardware/12683-old-ibm-keyboard.html
soapyfish Posted March 31, 2009 Posted March 31, 2009 I have one of the Unicomp Keyboards Endurapro and yes it is great with the exception of the track point as its not really sensitive enough although the mouse buttons on the keyboard come in handy and its click clack cound is perfect. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now