Oops_my_bad Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 I am planning a SIMS/FMS database move to another server for someone however I don't know the actual usernames/passwords held within the SIMS/FMS databases themselves. I've got hold of the SA username/password which I can login to use dbattach however when I select "drop database logins" on detach, the existing usernames are still present within the database when I re-attach (I can see them using SQL management studio) Am I missing something? I thought by dropping logins all you would have left when you re-attach is a default sysman username/password?
jamesb Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Dropping the database logins in SQL studio resets the passwords, but doesn't kill the usernames themselves.
Oops_my_bad Posted February 2, 2009 Author Posted February 2, 2009 OK, thanks - do you know what it resets the passwords to? (Feel free to PM that info or point to the relevant info on supportnet!) Thanks
jamesb Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 If I remember correctly it just kills them completely, but I don't have my supportnet access at the moment. I know that the sysman password can be reset simply enough, and the others can then be reset using that in combination with system manager.
robins Posted February 6, 2009 Posted February 6, 2009 SQLserver requires a db instance login to map to a database user by way of a matching SID code in system tables. There is a database called Master and a table called sysxlogins. To view, run the following in query analyser... select * from master..syslogins (its called sysxlogins in SQL2000) compare the "sid" for the account that doen't work with... select * from sims..sysusers Its possible to use an update statement to make them the same - though messing about with system tables should be avoided!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now