TechMonkey Posted January 6, 2009 Posted January 6, 2009 Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong? I am trying to setup a test Apache server to allow staff to look at Moodle and have a play. I have a station running everything fine but I want a simple name for them to enter in the address bar. I have setup the DNS fine but the VirtualHosts seems to be causing me trouble. So I want EduGeek.net to go to the moodle installation. moodle is redirected by DNS to that station. In the http.conf I have: NameVirtualHost *:80 DocumentRoot "C:/Program files/xampp/htdocs/moodle" ServerName moodle But nothing happens. That document path is correct for the folder moodle is installed on & all I get is a network timeout error. Any ideas?
kmount Posted January 6, 2009 Posted January 6, 2009 If you're getting a network timeout error; it's nothing to do with your vhost mate assuming apache is actually running at http://1.2.3.4 More likely the DNS (or even further more likely is that it's trying to through your proxy).
TechMonkey Posted January 6, 2009 Author Posted January 6, 2009 Well "moodle" is in my proxy bypass settings and before setting the virtualHost I could use "moodle" to go to the document root fine. It just gives this error when teh VH is being used.
kmount Posted January 6, 2009 Posted January 6, 2009 So ignoring the vhost for a second, can you still access the "real" document root via the boxes IP. (In effect checking whether Apache is actually running properly) Failing that; check the logs as apache is pretty verbose when vhosts are annoying it, but I've not used it on Windows so can't do too much
WiPPaH Posted January 6, 2009 Posted January 6, 2009 Im not sure if this will help but my vhost files look like this: DocumentRoot "/var/www_external" ServerName moodle allow from all Options +Indexes When you restart apache it normally tells you of any problems, I see you are using XAMPP, try checking the httpd.log for clues.
TechMonkey Posted January 6, 2009 Author Posted January 6, 2009 DOH!!! GRRRRRRRR. Just found that somewhere along the way the config file had saved to a completely different server!!! WHY!! SO I'll start this again.
TechMonkey Posted January 6, 2009 Author Posted January 6, 2009 & I have just got it working first time. Although this time I switched to using the httpd-vhosts.conf file. why couldn't this have happened 3 hours ago!! Ta for the help though all
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now