Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Dont worry, this isnt a post asking which software, I have done a search ;)

 

But it seems TrueCrypt is widely used and recommended.

However it seems that there is no built in recovery if teachers forget the password/encryption key

 

Personally, I dont see a massive problem with this - it is their own fault, and anyway, surely sensitive data on USB sticks will only be a copy of something on the internal network?

 

But the NM wants something where you can recover data. I assume thats onyl available in pretty expensive enterprise level software?

Posted

If you use whole disk encryption with truecrypt you create a bootable iso which can be used to recover the machine if the password is forgotten.

 

Ben

Posted

We use Truecrypt here for USB and are about to start implementing it for all laptops.

 

When encrypting the laptops you can create a recovery cd, as for USB, I make a note of the staff password and lock that document in the school safe.

Posted

The whole point of using encryption is so that without a valid key the data can't be recovered otherwise it would be useless.

 

Truecrypt is enterprise level software.

 

Ben

Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm being dense, but surely if it was possible for anyone with the right software to recover the encrypted data it would be a pointless exercise encrypting it in the first place?

 

Unless you want a "master" password type arrangement, in which case :getmecoat:.

 

P.S. Would it be worth assigning passwords and keeping an (encrypted) list?

 

There were no answers when I started typing.

Edited by LeMarchand
Too slow, again
Posted
as for USB, I make a note of the staff password and lock that document in the school safe.

 

so you assign a set password for everyone or one for each staff member?

 

only currently looking at USB sticks, not laptops

Posted

Truecrypt has the option to backup the volume header infomation.

 

I'm not sure if this would allow you to encrypt the usb with a password known by you, backup header, allow user to pick new password.

 

Then if they forgot the password, restore backup header, unencrypt using your password?

 

Ben

Posted

Ok just tested this and that does appear to work.

 

So as long as you have a backup of the header for each stick you'd be able to recover the data at a later date.

 

Ben

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...