Roopert Posted November 11, 2008 Posted November 11, 2008 I have just downloaded the toolbar now my internet wont....hehe Seriously though I was wanting to know if anyone had come up of ways to deal with the massive file sizes that are possible to print from this site. I have had print jobs sent of up to 1.5Gb! I have informed staff where possible, but i work between several schools and so when i am not there - well you know the story! Currently printers are either locally installed (and these print jobs eat the virtual memory) and some have a networked printer for the site. Any input here would be appreciated
leco Posted November 11, 2008 Posted November 11, 2008 Seriously though I was wanting to know if anyone had come up of ways to deal with the massive file sizes that are possible to print from this site. I have had print jobs sent of up to 1.5Gb! Currently printers are either locally installed (and these print jobs eat the virtual memory) and some have a networked printer for the site. I have been advising that the files be saved locally, then when they have a spare half hour they will be able to print them. Also to select the pages they want printing rather than the whole job lot at once. If not then the machine stalls, the print job does (eventually) go through, but the process prevents the user from doing anything else. Unfortunately haven't found a way yet of splitting the file into smaller chunks, other than one page at a time.
mikenew Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Hi We have exactly the same issue - teachers and TLAs send multiple pages to print and each one takes upto 15 minutes to print. Anyone found a solution to this issue? I don't want to block Sparklebox but may have to if there is no solution.
X-13 Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I don't want to block Sparklebox but may have to if there is no solution. I would block it. Purely based on this. A lot of LEAs don't allow it's use anymore. [Ours don't.] We use twinkl instead. 2
Domino Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 lots of print management solutions allow you to block prints over a certain number of pages, it's what we used to do.
mikenew Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Thanks for the advice so far received. I have two different issues 1 - the teachers are used to using the wealth of resources available from the site, and until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt. 2 - the file size issue still persists - I am hoping to find a solution that will allow the resources to print (and thus keep the teaching staff happy) without tying up printing capacity for 15 minutes per page which is a constant source of irritation (putting it mildly) to the other staff members who have to wait for prints to emerge from the printer.
X-13 Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) 1 - the teachers are used to using the wealth of resources available from the site, and until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt. Safeguarding/Child protection. End of. Also, as far as I know he's still listed as the owner. Which means he's getting money from the ads on the site. Staff revolt or no staff revolt. When you tell them they're funding a known pedophile, they'll soon go quiet. [i actually had to do that to a couple of members of staff here.] Edited January 17, 2013 by X-13
TechMonkey Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 I was going to say, that argument is arse about face. You block until you can confirm to safeguard the children, not keep it open and allow harm to potentially happen while it is discussed.
synaesthesia Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) Blunt time. You are risking too much. If there is a question BLOCK FIRSTand ask later. Edited January 17, 2013 by synaesthesia
sparkeh Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Um, SB is a site that every RBC in the country is blocking (with support from CEOP). Why wouldn't you block it? YHGfL statement: 1.The site is operating illegally in that the company operating the site has no registration with the Data Protection Registrar 2. The site signposts users to an un-trusted social networking site 3. The site offers the download of a toolbox with an unknown ‘payload’ – for example, the download could be collecting browsing history or initiate an internal attack on school systems immediately, or at some unknown future time. CEOP statement CEOP are also aware that a number of RBC’s and Local Authorities have blocked sparklebox.co.uk until they are satisfied that suitable safeguarding arrangements are in place. CEOP supports this stance and would recommend that any schools who choose to overrule their central filtering lists give due consideration to a website specific school risk analysis and risk management plan.
soveryapt Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) I would block it. Purely based on this. A lot of LEAs don't allow it's use anymore. [Ours don't.] We use twinkl instead. Aye, but be careful with the ads .. for instance, the 'Meet Pretty Thai Girl' one that came up when I just had a look having never come across Twinkl before. Edited January 17, 2013 by soveryapt
Domino Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Aye, but be careful with the ads .. for instance, the 'Meet Pretty Thai Girl' one that came up when I just had a look having never come across Twinkl before. must be google tracking, stop searching for pretty thai girls 2
AngryTechnician Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt. He is. Go to this site Company Check - Free company financial check on SPARKLEBOX TEACHER RESOURCES LIMITED. Registered number 06164228. Free company accounts. Companies House information and click on people. He is still listed as a Company Director.
elsiegee40 Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 Thanks for the advice so far received. I have two different issues 1 - the teachers are used to using the wealth of resources available from the site, and until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt. 2 - the file size issue still persists - I am hoping to find a solution that will allow the resources to print (and thus keep the teaching staff happy) without tying up printing capacity for 15 minutes per page which is a constant source of irritation (putting it mildly) to the other staff members who have to wait for prints to emerge from the printer. This needs to be batted straight up to your SLt/Designated CPO. Use of Sparklebox is banned/actively discouraged in virtually every school in the country... follow that link! To stop large prints clogging up your printer, be they from photos or sparklebox, you need print management software such as papercuut which will force them to print smaller files and only what they need. BUT, you can only implement such software with 100% support from the top. usually the size of the toner bill is enough for the HT decide that they'll give you their backing... especially after you produce the first list of shame showing who is printing how much and what it's costing the school.
LosOjos Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) must be google tracking, stop searching for pretty thai girls I'm inclined to agree given that my lunch time shopping ads came up for me Back OT - I'm amazed that there's a school left in the country that doesn't already know about the sparklebox scandal... Edited January 17, 2013 by LosOjos
X-13 Posted January 17, 2013 Posted January 17, 2013 (edited) Back OT - I'm amazed that there's a school left in the country that doesn't already know about the sparklebox scandal... They [sMT] probably do. But, they could be like a lot of people on TES I've seen and are just ignoring the issue because "SparkleBox is teh awesome". I saw a whole thing on TES with loads of people saying they're still using it and don't care. Some even saying it's banned at their school, so they do it at home. I STILL have teachers with that mindset. Le EDIT: If it wasn't for sparklebox, I would have to make them all myself, and I'm not there isn't a teacher in the world who will disagree with me when I say we already have far too much on our plates and are extremely overworked, without the added burdon of making a pretty numberline. In this instance, I'm sorry to say that morals and ethics come second place to my own wellbeing. From the TES article [comments] about Kinge being arrested. Edited January 17, 2013 by X-13
synaesthesia Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 Enough said really. I've always just said "what you do at home is your concern but please think twice about having resources created by a convicted sex paedophile brought into school". It goes through the motions of "Oh, you're over-reacting" to "Well, I suppose I could do without" - the latter usually only happens after I've showed a few alternatives. The annoying thing really is that the majority of things they use it for are crap smiley faces. "Here is the Internet. Welcome. Enjoy it for pictures of cute kittens, dodgy Russian driving and a million smiley faces"
localzuk Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 I've put my foot down with SparkleBox. Its blocked, and anyone caught using its stuff on work laptops gets a stern telling off and the stuff deleted.
X-13 Posted January 18, 2013 Posted January 18, 2013 and the stuff deleted. This is what I'm doing. [With SMT's backing] Due to userspace changes, we've got a lot of people complaining they have no space left. I go in, have a look about and make a few suggestions as to tihngs they can delete or move to our staff drive. If I spot sparklebox stuff, it's deleted.
soveryapt Posted January 23, 2013 Posted January 23, 2013 must be google tracking, stop searching for pretty thai girls shhh .. Not something I've been using my computer for I must admit ..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now