Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

How about software RAID? I'm looking at building a couple of boxes (pretty decent spec) to use as nightly back-up boxes.

 

Will software RAID be able to cope with this? Say if it were writing 200gb per night?

Posted

depends on the system cpu and what other tasks it's doing.

 

I get about 1% cpu load on a Intel Quad Core2 Xeon 2.4Ghz running a 1.5Tb Raid5 array.

Posted

Spec of the machine I had in mind:

 

4 x 750gb HDD (7200rpm) - losing 1 for RAID

Intel Celeron D 3.06GHz

1GB RAM

 

It will be doing nothing but backing up about 200GB per night (1TB over weekend) and then pushing out using rsync to a mirrored box during the day (on a VLAN).

Posted

Oh, one other thing - I'm going to need a motherboard with 4-ports for the drives.

 

Can you show me a one that will do the job? Preferably with a compatible chip?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...