Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I have one DC and 2 member servers. I was thinking of adding another server that'll be a second DC to share the load with the other DC. I was wondering if I did do that, is there anything other than doing DCPROMO on the 2nd server that'll need doing? Things like FSMO roles. Should I be concerned about that?
Posted

Entirely up to you!

 

I wouldn't bother too much if its only 2 DCs as you can share enough load (DNS/Authentication/etc) without messing with FSMO roles.

Posted
I wouldn't bother with making it a global catalogue, unless you have domain trusts in place and many, many users who are crossing the security boundaries. If not, all it will do is generate replication traffic.
Posted
Although it will increase the redundancy of the other DC. IF ones fails while your offside they can still run on the other DC.
Posted (edited)

Only if you have multiple domains. With only one domain in a forest, a global catalogue brings you no additional benefits because its purpose is to allow searching of other domains in the forest without knowing their full name.

 

Edit: That's unless you're using Exchange in the same domain, which relies on GCs for the global address books.

 

Edit: Actually, I'm talking total :censored:, you need a GC for logon requests :o Sorry. I haven't had much coffee today.

Edited by powdarrmonkey
Posted

You got me lost then, i was going to say you need it to logon. We all have those days.

 

Personally i would have another just in case, it will make more network traffic but on a LAN it wont be noticeable.

 

Z

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...