Hightower Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 Hey folks, Rebuilt a laptop (Tosh L20) onto our CC3 network not so long back and now explorer crashes on it. It's happened about 4 times in a week, with no apparent links to other apps. Event viewer displays nothing about the crash. Anyone know of any common causes? I don't want to do another rebuild if I can help it because it has a lot of locally installed software on it. The error: MCI command handling window: Explorer.exe - Application Error Then it goes on to reference memory address and says it could not be read. Thanks in advance...
alan-d Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 You might want to join this thread - there could be a common theme here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/23997-explorer-crashing-since-sp3-install.html
Hightower Posted September 19, 2008 Author Posted September 19, 2008 No - seen that. It's only SP2 on the machine and it's a different error.
tomscaper Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 Could you try a system restore from when it worked. Hey folks, Rebuilt a laptop (Tosh L20) onto our CC3 network not so long back and now explorer crashes on it. It's happened about 4 times in a week, with no apparent links to other apps. Event viewer displays nothing about the crash. Anyone know of any common causes? I don't want to do another rebuild if I can help it because it has a lot of locally installed software on it. The error: MCI command handling window: Explorer.exe - Application Error Then it goes on to reference memory address and says it could not be read. Thanks in advance...
Hightower Posted September 19, 2008 Author Posted September 19, 2008 It hasn't worked since the rebuild apparently - so no
alan-d Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 We have the same errors on both SP2 and SP3.
Michael Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 I'm surprised the Event Viewer is showing nothing for explorer.exe crashing. The error message gives a clue that an application is causing it to crash. Have you installed any updates or new application software recently? You may also want to keep your own log of what application(s) users are using when this happens to form a pattern.
Hightower Posted September 19, 2008 Author Posted September 19, 2008 The laptop is used in music and I know the teacher adds software that he needs as and when. I have asked him to look out the next time it happens. I will keep you posted on how things go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now