CHiLL Posted April 7 Posted April 7 We have recently moved away from Entrust/EXA for our school and they want to release the school domain. I had already moved DNS from them to Cloudflare some months ago, but they want to release their registrar too. However, since Cloudflare doesn't currently support .sch.uk domains, I'm unsure who I can (or should) use moving forwards. I was under the impression that we could not own the domains independently, as they're issued by DFE or whomever controls the .sch.uk domain. Ours is specifically a .bham.sch.uk domain. Could anyone advise?
36Degrees Posted April 7 Posted April 7 We have our .sch.uk domain registered through Krystal (krystal.io). It was moved many years ago so I can't remember too much but seem to recall it was fairly painless and, at the time, free. 2
whartomt01 Posted April 7 Posted April 7 Either keep them with Nominet. Use their portal to change nameservers to Cloudflare. Or Heart Internet can host them. 1
Gongalong Posted April 7 Posted April 7 We use Fasthosts. No charge when we moved over. Previous discussion here https://www.edugeek.net/forums/topic/215588-who-can-host-an-schuk-domain/ 1
CHiLL Posted April 7 Author Posted April 7 Thanks for your replies. I'm probably going to move it back to Nominet, especially considering our website and DNS are hosted separately, already away from EXA. 1
JOrdan01070 Posted April 15 Posted April 15 I am in the process of doing this at the moment, I tried to stop with CSC to make it as easy as possible but it was every costly, I am looking to go with Nominet as the registrar and Cloudflare for the DNS side of things, was it an easy process.
AlphamaleZed Posted April 15 Posted April 15 1 hour ago, JOrdan01070 said: I am in the process of doing this at the moment, I tried to stop with CSC to make it as easy as possible but it was every costly, I am looking to go with Nominet as the registrar and Cloudflare for the DNS side of things, was it an easy process. Cloudflare DNS is actually decent and free to move over to. I may be moving domain ownership later.
365Steve Posted April 21 Posted April 21 On 07/04/2026 at 12:24, CHiLL said: We have recently moved away from Entrust/EXA for our school and they want to release the school domain. I had already moved DNS from them to Cloudflare some months ago, but they want to release their registrar too. However, since Cloudflare doesn't currently support .sch.uk domains, I'm unsure who I can (or should) use moving forwards. I was under the impression that we could not own the domains independently, as they're issued by DFE or whomever controls the .sch.uk domain. Ours is specifically a .bham.sch.uk domain. Could anyone advise? I know some schools (also bham.sch.uk) who moved their hosting from Entrust to Krystal. Think it's pretty straightforward.
JOrdan01070 Posted April 21 Posted April 21 I have just completed the move from entrust (CSCDigital) to Nominet and Cloudflare was fairly easy and I have also setup MTA-STS using Cloudflare which was not as hard as it first looked.
365Steve Posted April 22 Posted April 22 On 21/04/2026 at 15:09, JOrdan01070 said: I have just completed the move from entrust (CSCDigital) to Nominet and Cloudflare was fairly easy and I have also setup MTA-STS using Cloudflare which was not as hard as it first looked. who did you need to contact to get the domain tag for the CSC. I have a school in Staffordshire (now part of a MAT), who can't get control of their domain because it looks like capita managed it years ago under Worcester council but the NS records are CSCDigital. [I'm confused even writing that.]
JOrdan01070 Posted April 23 Posted April 23 Morning I Entrust first and they got CSCDigital contact me [email protected], I got CSCdigital to change the email address and registrar contact details over to the school then I contacted Nominet who created the school account so we can change the name server to Cloudflare. A lot of back and forth took about 4 weeks. Nominet TAG is just NOMINET. Hope this helps. Jordan 1
NorthernNoel Posted April 27 Posted April 27 I've done this a few times and found this guide particularly useful when the original 'owner' doesn't play ball: How to transfer a .sch.uk domain Worst I've had is that they request a picture of the Head holding a piece of paper to prove they actually want it transferring but it does work. Once you've got it setup in Nominet you can point it to any nameservers you want.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now