Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've seen this issue before, but it's become a bigger problem now.

 

We have Paxton Net2 integrated with Salamander to make and delete users as they come and go. However, it seems that when they're deleted, it holds on to the issued tokens for those users and we can't re-use them as a result.

 

Getting directly into the SQL Database doesn't seem to be happening at present, and the *cough* awful software doesn't have a clean up routine/recycle bin or similar to actually tidy the records.

 

Any ideas?

Posted

I've found that Net2 has a 'Deleted Users' table/store. Those users are in there, almost certainly with their tokens, as I can see them when I run a report and tick that box.

 

The logic in having that table without a way to purge it easily from the UI (or even the Configuration Utility) surprises me not a bit.

 

I've emailed their support. This is their headache.

  • Like 1
Posted

If you create, test and then delete a Paxton user manually, I assume you can re-use the token?  (We can, so I'd expect you can too).

 

Worth having a chat with Salamander to see if you can amend what it calls when deleting/archiving a user.  They've picked a safe default - don't assume the employee handed back the token so make sure it can't be accidentally reactivated - but there may be other options they can call (disable the account instead of deleting, for example).

Posted

Yes, I can do so if they're manually removed. Something in the API is obviously following a different route, but I don't want to get stuck in support tennis between Paxton and Salamander.

Posted

Are you using Paxton Net2 Tokens (or, third-party MIFARE tokens/cards)?

 

The only thing similar to what you're describing is when an old client of ours had used Switch2 Tokens on a Net2 System. They previously had a Switch2 System, upgraded to Net2 & attempted to re-use their old tokens. This can work but, Installers/Engineers need to be mindful:

 

When buying a multipack of Switch2 Tokens - occasionally, a few get issued w/ the same code on them (from the multipack). They're more distinguishable than the Net2 Tokens (by their different colours) and are 'compatible' with Net2. However, you can only have 1x user (using the same token). This is what caused them errors (and, inevitably - cause a need for them to buy new tokens).

 

Wishing you the best of luck in getting it sorted.

Posted

They’re Mifare 1k. Not upgraded. Possible duplicates (though unlikely) but this is all of the leavers, every token.

They’ll still be in the DB. That’s fine - I could strip them out - but not without DB access it seems!

Posted

It's probably worth giving Paxton a call directly: +44 1273 811011. If I've ever had trouble during an Installation, I've just given them a call and they've been fantastic. Not too sure if they have Remote Support available for Windows (but, worth giving it a try...!).

I haven't played w/ Salamander for years. I know Paxton did change something w/ their API Integration before not too long ago (another thread on here). Is all of the Salamander bits fully updated, etc?

  • Like 1
Posted

I have seen this issue before but mine occurs after bulk importing users via CSV. 
 

It runs the import but fails to add any users. I then get told all the card numbers are in use and you cannot add manually either then. 

 

When this happened to me a few years ago I had to export all users and match all users tokens to their unique user ID and import again after wiping all the users. I feel like it’s a user ID issue personally. 
 

Since then I’ve not used the bulk importing tool. 

Don’t know if you get this issue too but if I try to add a new operator to Net2 it adds it and sets the password, shows in the operator list but never appears in the drop down to login. 
 

Hopefully they can offer you some advice to fix this issue. 

 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, TomL said:

It's probably worth giving Paxton a call directly: +44 1273 811011. If I've ever had trouble during an Installation, I've just given them a call and they've been fantastic. Not too sure if they have Remote Support available for Windows (but, worth giving it a try...!).

I haven't played w/ Salamander for years. I know Paxton did change something w/ their API Integration before not too long ago (another thread on here). Is all of the Salamander bits fully updated, etc?

Salamander is updated.

 

I think I'll have to call them, I've had no reply to my email. Joy!

 

Edit:

Okay, some resolution. Paxton couldn't help here - they say it's an API issue (we're on a newish version too). Contacted Salamander who have now set up another step in the config to delete the tokens when a user is removed, then a one-time clean-up to go through and purge the tokens from deleted users. The users will probably remain but that's not an issue.

Edited by 3s-gtech
Resolution
Posted

It's to do with how Salamander archives users instead of deleting them. I assume that's the default so that it can use the same record if the user is re-added to the MIS.

 

Usually I'll take my used tokens down to the nearest door and scan them all. They then appear in the main Net2 event log, you can just double click the token ID it'll take you to the user record even if its hidden. Then I just delete as required and reassign the token.

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MCPearson said:

It's to do with how Salamander archives users instead of deleting them. I assume that's the default so that it can use the same record if the user is re-added to the MIS.

 

Usually I'll take my used tokens down to the nearest door and scan them all. They then appear in the main Net2 event log, you can just double click the token ID it'll take you to the user record even if its hidden. Then I just delete as required and reassign the token.

I have something like 270 tokens to recycle; ain't nobody got time for that.

 

Yeah it seems to be part of Salamander's process. Our fix makes sense and seems to work though.

 

Edit: just tried your process for some clashes (sixth form students) and it works great. That'll allow us to gain a few more tokens back.

Edited by 3s-gtech

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...