Danp Posted March 28, 2023 Posted March 28, 2023 I've finally got round to replacing Server 2012r2 with Ubuntu on my home server. I held out for as long as possible, but once Chrome started moaning that it won't update anymore I thought it was about time! One thing I'm struggling with is finding a remote access solution I'm happy with. I used to RDP from any device (phone or work pc etc) but now I've setup RDP on Ubuntu I need to be signed out of the device before it connects. What other options have I got?
LeMarchand Posted March 28, 2023 Posted March 28, 2023 https://www.zoho.com/assist/ubuntu-remote-desktop.html I think the free version should be OK for that usage.
Danp Posted March 28, 2023 Author Posted March 28, 2023 https://www.zoho.com/assist/ubuntu-remote-desktop.html I think the free version should be OK for that usage. Thanks, installed, looks ok so far. Will see in 15 days if it lets me carry on with the free version, at the moment it wants me to pay
LeMarchand Posted March 28, 2023 Posted March 28, 2023 I've been using the free version for months now for unattended access to 3 hosts (you can have up to 5) - though none are Ubuntu. It does like to nag, but as long as they don't pull an "Avast" and remove the free tier (in Avast's case, for EDU), I can live with that. Yes, Avast, I'm still miffed about that about-face! As long as the free tier does what you need, you should be golden. 1
jr_ Posted April 19, 2023 Posted April 19, 2023 No need for any of those. Rustdesk free and open source works on all platforms
jackp Posted January 18, 2024 Posted January 18, 2024 If this is for Ubuntu Desktop, I'd recommend simply VNC. Just a regular RealVNC or TightVNC server running on your local network as a systemd service and then you can connect from your other OS PC. However, if it's an Ubuntu SERVER, I'd suggest simply SSH, and chuck a bit of FTP/SFTP in there if you want to remotely manage files like that. I've never really used Ubuntu Desktop for servers because I prefer running services on them, rather than seeing GUI environments. Instead of using a desktop package to see all of the apps I run, I run stuff in Docker and use services like Portainer or https://pterodactyl.io to read and see the container data.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now