googlemad Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 We need to place an order for either some 512mb or 1gb PC3200 sticks of DDR RAM (1gb if the price isn't much higher than 512mb). Need about 30 sticks, decent brand (Kingston etc). Any ideas on the best suppliers?
Haptic Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 We need to place an order for either some 512mb or 1gb PC3200 sticks of DDR RAM (1gb if the price isn't much higher than 512mb). Need about 30 sticks, decent brand (Kingston etc). Any ideas on the best suppliers? We have these in stock and available for free next day delivery Kingston ValueRam 1GB DDR PC3200 £22.99+vat Each How does this price fair up for you,
kmount Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Be careful to ensure that your motherboard(s) will support "generic" memory. Failing that, check on Crucial or Kingston's website for the precise module support.
dgsmith Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 dabs4work - Generic Memory products at great prices from dabs4work
plexer Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Crucial were cheaper when I looked earlier in the week for the same thing. However some of the options Simon was offering have lifetime warranty on them. Ben
kmount Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 I would urge the OP to check their motherboard for compatibility before considering buying the 'cheaper' generic memory offerings otherwise you may as my predecessor found out, spending £6k on memory to find it only reports 50% of the total a bit of a slap in the face.
dgsmith Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Although some here have had problems with RAM, we never have (when buying generic). Usually, we'll stick to Kingston/Corsair/Crucial as those seem to have better compatability with motherboards than other brands, and touch wood, we have yet to see any problems.
Psymon Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 (edited) Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR 400MHz/PC3200 CL3 unbuffered 2.6V - Ebuyer 15 of them @ 41.65 ex vat is £20.83 a stick. If you can afford a tiny bit more http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132905 £20.85 a stick, and OCZ is an Awesome RAM manufacturer. Edited July 4, 2008 by Psymon
SYNACK Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Any compatibility issues that I have had with new generic type RAM have been solved by updating the BIOS to the latest version. I had a batch of 1GB chips that would not register the full value or not show up until I had updated the BIOS of the older computers so that they understood the newer specification codes reported by the RAM. So long as it it the right type of RAM and a supported amount (most old pcs limit you to 1GB sticks) then you should be fine. It is only if you have really picky machines like servers that are likely to give you major grief with RAM.
mrforgetful Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 CCL Computers - Awarded Best Online Retailer 2007 & 2006 for Laptops, Desktops & Computer Hardware We just got 25 for around £17-£18 each 1Gb sticks. Kingston Value.
FN-GM Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Abit of a warning about Kingston, a few months ago we purchased around 50 sticks of 512mb and now they are starting to die! We have had arround 15 faulty sticks.
localzuk Posted July 4, 2008 Posted July 4, 2008 Abit of a warning about Kingston, a few months ago we purchased around 50 sticks of 512mb and now they are starting to die! We have had arround 15 faulty sticks. I've never heard of this sort of thing happening before. I've been buying Kingston for a good 8 years now and have never had any fail - probably a few hundred modules. I always run things through their site though, to ensure I get the right modules. I'd say Kingston if you want cheap, or OCZ if you want premium. Supplier-wise, I'd go for either European Electronique or Misco/Systemax
googlemad Posted July 5, 2008 Author Posted July 5, 2008 Interesting comments - Thanks. Think the boss of all the ordering has found the best deal etc using some fancy system he has but for home users I found it for £20.99 a stick (1gb) £20.99 delivered at My Memory. (My Media PC will be happy!) We've ordered 1 stick to test compatibility, used Kingston in the past so sticking to it! The machines are mainly Intel motherboards which seem happy enough with Kingston. Hopefully will improve performance by sticking in 1 1gb PC3200 module rather than simply adding to the existing stick of 512mb PC2700.
PeterW Posted July 5, 2008 Posted July 5, 2008 Abit of a warning about Kingston, a few months ago we purchased around 50 sticks of 512mb and now they are starting to die! We have had arround 15 faulty sticks. That would be a shocking failure rate for any manufacturer, it sounds like they are not completetly compatible with your systems or that you have a batch failure(unlikley).
googlemad Posted July 16, 2009 Author Posted July 16, 2009 Bump (Saves a new post for a similar question) Summer time again, we want to refurb some of our old classroom PCs for staff so need around 20 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM sticks (Pref Kingston). Any pointers for best sources? I know it has probably shot up with DDR2 / DDR3 taking over etc!
WStore_Dan Posted July 16, 2009 Posted July 16, 2009 We've recently supplied another school with some of this RAM What machines are they for so I can cehck compatibility? Then I'll PM you some pricing Many thanks
googlemad Posted July 16, 2009 Author Posted July 16, 2009 We've recently supplied another school with some of this RAM What machines are they for so I can cehck compatibility? Then I'll PM you some pricing Many thanks They're Stone / Compusys with Intel 845 chipsets mainly, I know they will all support 1GB PC3200 sticks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now