contink Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 Having spent some serious time with the existing server I've realised that the existence of a second core could well use populating to help carry some of the load, especially when it comes to some of the stuff I was expecting of it. At the moment we have a single Xeon 2800 MHz CPU in there and I'd like to try and get my hands on a couple of 3.6Ghz units with heatsinks to replace it or at least another 2.8Ghz to match the existing one. If anyone has any of these or can point me in the right direction it'd be a big help... I'm not entirely sure re: compatability so I've no idea if an HP branded unit would work in this thing or not... guidance from those in the know would be good... Also, it's out of warranty so I can install this myself so no worries there. Thanks in advance...
SYNACK Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 It looks as if the 1800 does not need VRMs for extra CPUs so any compatible processor should work. The main concern would be the heatsink as this may be specially shaped and sized to fit properly beside the other cpu and not impede air flow. Looks like the 2.8 is avalible in the US Dell : Dell Xeon 2.8 GHz Processor - Second Processor for Dell PowerEdge 1800 Server : Processors : Small & Medium Business from Dell. Personally I would try Ebay: BRAND NEW Dell PowerEdge 840 1800 CPU Heatsink KJ582 - eBay (item 290231034469 end time Jul-14-08 20:35:16 PDT) Dell Poweredge 1800 CPU Shroud / Fan __________ F3172 - eBay (item 300222716002 end time Jul-05-08 15:27:53 PDT) 1
contink Posted June 19, 2008 Author Posted June 19, 2008 Thanks for that... helped answer a question re: the socket type too.. I'd add to your rep but I need to earn more first apparently
kmount Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 Thanks for that... helped answer a question re: the socket type too.. I'd add to your rep but I need to earn more first apparently Added to him on your behalf. 1
Dos_Box Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 Try asking ICT-Direct for spares. They have quite a lot of processors and RAM etc from old Dell kit. ICT Direct - computer hardware for ict in education - primary, secondary, special needs schools and colleges 1
contink Posted June 20, 2008 Author Posted June 20, 2008 (edited) @kmount... thanks for passing that on @DB... thanks for that info too... Just been chatting to them and they're off hunting for me now. Can't help thinking I should have looked there before I even started this whole upgrade routine... Ah well. Edit... sorry... tired... not reading straight. Edited June 21, 2008 by contink
john Posted June 21, 2008 Posted June 21, 2008 @Geoff... thanks for that info too... Just been chatting to them and they're off hunting for me now. Can't help thinking I should have looked there before I even started this whole upgrade routine... Ah well. eer it was DB not Geoff, there is a difference
contink Posted June 21, 2008 Author Posted June 21, 2008 eer it was DB not Geoff, there is a difference There is? Gawd I was tired... still am, as it goes... thanks for letting me know.. have edited to thank the proper folk..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now