fredesq Posted February 17, 2021 Posted February 17, 2021 Hi, I'm asking for clarification on what level of filtering and monitoring is actually required by law or gov obligations. In the keeping children safe in edu document, I can only find reference to the appropiate filtering and monitoring in relation to children - to me this is clear and the levels of monitoring and filtering should be lead by a risk assesment per school. What about staff? I've scoured a lot of documents and the answer Isn't straight forward - there isn't a direct address of staff on site and whether they need to be filtered and monitored. There are references to staff on saferinternet.org and the SWGFL for staff - but i'm failing to see where they've referenced it from. I understand the need to do it but I want to know the necessity. And guests? This is even foggier as there are some opinions of whether they should be monitored/filtered or not on this forum but I've not seen any evidence to support or deny the claims of whether guests should be monitored/filtered. I'm asking for any references to any laws / gov obligations that you have you used to define how your school does things?
paulellam Posted February 17, 2021 Posted February 17, 2021 What does the schools safeguarding policy say?
elsiegee40 Posted February 17, 2021 Posted February 17, 2021 (edited) You and your SLT need to read Keeping Children Safe in Education and read it conjunction with the advice put together by Kent’s nationally recognised @esafety_officer, Rebecca Avery. Her document can be found in this thread and filters and monitoring start on page 14. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/e-safety/208603-online-safety-within-keeping-children-safe-education-kcsie-2019-a.html Edited February 17, 2021 by elsiegee40 1
fredesq Posted February 18, 2021 Author Posted February 18, 2021 You and your SLT need to read Keeping Children Safe in Education and read it conjunction with the advice put together by Kent’s nationally recognised @esafety_officer, Rebecca Avery. Her document can be found in this thread and filters and monitoring start on page 14. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/e-safety/208603-online-safety-within-keeping-children-safe-education-kcsie-2019-a.html Thank you - I think this is the most clear (still not that clear haha) document i've seen. I guess our IT team is looking at this with the view to find a black and white answer where there isn't one and it's down to to SLT/Governance to take the lead on this for Staff and Guests connections. 1
elsiegee40 Posted February 18, 2021 Posted February 18, 2021 Thank you - I think this is the most clear (still not that clear haha) document i've seen. I guess our IT team is looking at this with the view to find a black and white answer where there isn't one and it's down to to SLT/Governance to take the lead on this for Staff and Guests connections. And that’s the important point... The IT must not work alone on this. The decision MUST be made by SLT/Governance and the IT team needs to work with them in making this decision. 1
Norphy Posted February 18, 2021 Posted February 18, 2021 Agreed. Filtering and Safeguarding are not IT functions. It's up to us to implement it but it's up to your school's DSLs to make the policy for you. You (probably) don't have the training and expertise required to make these kind of decisions, so farm it off sharpish. 1
jmak Posted February 18, 2021 Posted February 18, 2021 More agreement. The only caveat I'd add is that it's often almost essential for someone supporting the systems to have a very good idea of what's actually required so that they can ask the right questions. I've had both the "don't worry, we don't need to do anything" response when there's something that's a legal requirement and the "engage full panic mode, fix this tonight at the expense of everything else and spend whatever you want" when there was no need to do anything at all. Having a decent understanding of the requirements can also help with selecting the best solution to achieve what is required by the people making the decision and the regulations.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now