ChrisN-0123 Posted June 4, 2008 Posted June 4, 2008 Does anyone have any legal documents on donating old computers/it equipment to children/staff? I know we have to PAT test them and shred drives, all we need is a form for them to sign and agree to cover our backs incase they injure themselves or something. Been searching for hours and can't find anything! I would rather see low-income families have the computers rather than throwing them. Thanks!
enjay Posted June 5, 2008 Posted June 5, 2008 There are charities out there which will donate PCs to low-income families, so I'd pass the PCs on through them - you get rid of your PCs, people who need them get them, and you don't have the legal hassles. Win-Win-Win!
jsnetman Posted June 5, 2008 Posted June 5, 2008 We did this two years ago and as far as I'm aware the only legal stuff you need do as you mention is PAT test it to ensure it's electrically safe. Apart from that I do not see how you can be liable to anything else.
Domino Posted June 6, 2008 Posted June 6, 2008 You'll also have to check licencing if its going to have an OS/software on it
joe90bass Posted June 6, 2008 Posted June 6, 2008 I'm assuming licencing is no prob with PCs that come with individual licences, VLKs would obviously be a no go! My big concern would be that no matter how much you stress that once they take the PC you will not support it, someone will always try and bring it in if it breaks As for for legal position, I have to agree, I can't see how you can have any come back if it's given with a current PAT test.
enjay Posted June 9, 2008 Posted June 9, 2008 My big concern would be that no matter how much you stress that once they take the PC you will not support it, someone will always try and bring it in if it breaks Doesn't mean you have to support it when they do, though...
FN-GM Posted June 9, 2008 Posted June 9, 2008 If the machines don’t have an OEM licence on them you can always use Ubuntu or something.
imiddleton25 Posted June 10, 2008 Posted June 10, 2008 I looked at this last year and when i contacted Microsoft about the licencing they said "Full operating system licenses are not available through any Microsoft Volume Licensing Program, Fact." So people who thought they were buying full operating systems via Microsoft volume licensing programs have actually been buying upgrades, and as Microsoft points out , "Some customers believe they can acquire full operating system licenses through their Microsoft Volume Licensing Program Myth." OEM licenses for Microsoft operating system software are not transferable from one machine to another, even if the PC on which it was originally installed is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the original PC on which it was installed so basicly if you get rid of a a mchine the licence goes with the machine 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now