Renfield-64 Posted June 30, 2020 Posted June 30, 2020 I am currently trialling Lanschool with fully working software so it's not in demo mode. When I launch the console it can take forever to show up staff devices and some never show at all despite having the client installed. All student PCs show up OK. At the moment they are all on the same channel and the tech console is on ch 0. We are not using LCS. Their tech support say I should use tracing software to see if the broadcasts are being blocked somewhere but I can't be the only person to have experienced this. Anyone else ever had this issue?
paulellam Posted June 30, 2020 Posted June 30, 2020 Sometimes Antivirus will block it, it used to happen to me but had to use an allow rule in the AV system.
bknaggs Posted June 30, 2020 Posted June 30, 2020 How are your VLANs set up? If the devices are on different VLANs then you'll need the connection server. Is the LanSchool service definitely running on the PCs that don't connect. Before we switched to SSDs I had some PCs where the service would time out and not start.
Renfield-64 Posted June 30, 2020 Author Posted June 30, 2020 The odd thing is, sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. I will have to check a couple of PCs to ensure the service is running. Thanks
LanSchool_Virginia Posted June 30, 2020 Posted June 30, 2020 (edited) Hello @Renfield-64! My name is Virginia and I work with the LanSchool Support Team. I'm sorry for the issues that you are experiencing. However, I'll be more than happy to help. The previous support person that helped you, is correct. When we see issues with the teachers not showing up in the tech console, it's because they are using a LCS. I understand that you are not using LCS and that leads us to believe that there is a routing issue or something potentially filtering/blocking them. If the teachers and tech console are on a different SSID, you will need to make sure the ports are open for that communication. This is why we suggest tracing software such as Wireshark. One thing you may want to try before tracing software is to use either of the broadcasting methods: IP Broadcast or IP Multicast. If your network has multicast routing enabled, you can discover them through that. If not, you will need to be on the same subnet as the staff devices. Please let me know how this goes. Edited June 30, 2020 by LanSchool_Virginia
round2it Posted January 18, 2021 Posted January 18, 2021 (edited) we use lanschool and have the same issue pcs not showing up until the pc is rebooted not much help for you flat network no vlans, looking at netsupport again as it just worked but price moved me away channel zero is for all pcs so they should show up (move a teacher pc into a student ou to test if its routing) another thing to ask is the logging of teacher pc activity web browsing keystroke etc as when i asked i was told why do you need to check teachers machines (support contract ended the same day due to arrogance of the support team) a no it cant do that would have been fine but the attitude of the guy just boiled my blood in all the time i used it it was hit and miss so not the best product but cheap especially if you are moving from another product i get special pricing (50% off) long time ago now Edited January 18, 2021 by round2it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now