sidewinder Posted April 16, 2008 Posted April 16, 2008 I dont know if this is just us or its just a Windows quirk, but with a logon script to map drives, if I dont put NET USE \DELETE before every NET USE drive mapping, we sporadically get the old drives mapped, even though they arnt in the script anymore For example I recently changed the admin logon script. It had NET USE /DELETE before each letter but as the new shares had been active for over a year, I thought it would just map the new ones. No such luck...just logged on and instead of the current share being mapped to M:\, I'm getting one that points to a non existant share and server that is long gone Where on earth does it get this from? I cant imagine profile? The account in question has a mandatory profile anyway, so nothing could have been written to it.
GlennT Posted April 16, 2008 Posted April 16, 2008 Maybe it was previously mapped with /P:YES. This sounds probable. Had this a while back and had to use "net use * /DELETE /Y" from what I recall....
SYNACK Posted April 16, 2008 Posted April 16, 2008 Here's what I found out about it: {site} - Okay - here's what I have found... If you map a drive "with" persistent connections, it appears in the registry under the key: HKCU\Network\ (obviously, where drive letter is the mapped drive). So it looks like it is stored in the user hive of the registry, maybe this is because of caching on the workstations in question. Are you using super mandatory profiles? (see wiki)
pallen Posted April 16, 2008 Posted April 16, 2008 Could it be that some clients have old profiles stored locally? I tend to run delprof to make sure no stored profiles are causing any problems with any scripts I run.
bio Posted April 16, 2008 Posted April 16, 2008 I think Synack is on the right track here. I have seen it in our network as well. To start off you can clean the registry of those mappings (just start regedt32 and import the users .DAt or .MAN file into a hive, change it, and save again) . However it could be a profile sync problem as well. (the pc grabs an "old" local profile if it can't grab the roaming one). bio...
sidewinder Posted April 17, 2008 Author Posted April 17, 2008 Hmm well it sounds like a persistant connection but I cant say Ive ever used that in a script in the 3 years Ive been here and all PC's will have been reimaged and profiles will have been cleared in that time so any old stuff should be long gone. No big deal, Ill just use NET USE * /DELETE /Y - didnt know you could do that, was getting fed up of deleting each letter seperately - cheers Glenn
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now