themightymrp Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 This has probably been asked already, but is there anything out there that can easily be used to encrypt a USB drive so it can be used on Windows and Mac? I've read about Veracrypt, but I get the impression that users would need administrator rights on the machine to make use of the portable feature Any better thoughts? I can talk the virtues of using OneDrive all day but some staff are quite stubborn. Cheers
DalekSec Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 I can talk the virtues of using OneDrive all day but some staff are quite stubborn. Simple: Take away their USBs What we do is when people come in asking for USBs we point them to OneDrive unless they are doing something very quickly that doesnt justify the time to upload up etc! I'm guessing you tried Bitlocker? I can test it on Mac now if you want
3s-gtech Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 The only easy solution I found was hardware encrypted sticks, where they support both OSs. I went for Kingston Datatraveler Locker+ G3. Not ideal as you can't then enforce encrypted sticks through GP, but Macs wouldn't support that anyway.
Passat1983ICTech Posted May 15, 2018 Posted May 15, 2018 hi there all her is a link that we have for mac her is the link https://www.m3datarecovery.com/mac-bitlocker/ hope this helps
themightymrp Posted May 15, 2018 Author Posted May 15, 2018 I've seen the M3 software, and yes it would let me use BitLocker. But it isn't cheap! I'm thinking that hardware encrypted drives might be the only solution - but as you say, I can't then use the GPO option to enforce it.. Hmmm
Popular Post LeMarchand Posted May 15, 2018 Popular Post Posted May 15, 2018 This has probably been asked already, but is there anything out there that can easily be used to encrypt a USB drive so it can be used on Windows and Mac? I've read about Veracrypt, but I get the impression that users would need administrator rights on the machine to make use of the portable feature Any better thoughts? I can talk the virtues of using OneDrive all day but some staff are quite stubborn. Cheers Install VeraCrypt for 2 or 3 of the worst moaners Give them a test encrypted stick with a suitable 20+ character password Show them how to launch VeraCrypt Show them how to select a spare drive letter, select the correct device, mount the device and enter the password Show them how to safely unmount the device Watch them decide that OneDrive is easier 5
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now