jaminben Posted April 27, 2018 Posted April 27, 2018 (edited) Hi all, So we're playing around with Windows 10 1709 and UE-V and have noticed a few issues which doesn't seem to make sense and was hoping someone on here may have a solution: Task bar icons don't appear to transfer between machines for the same roaming user? Application settings for notepad appear to work fine between machines for the same roaming user but something like Audacity first run settings don't transfer? Edge doesn't transfer favourite's? Do you still redirect users AppData(Roaming)? Thanks Ben Edited April 27, 2018 by jaminben
rosslaing Posted April 27, 2018 Posted April 27, 2018 (edited) Hi Ben, 1. Default templates don't transfer task bar icons I think 2. UEV default templates work for mostly Microsoft applications, for 3rd party apps you need to create your own templates using the template generator 3. You would need to redirect the favourites folder for that I think and when opening Edge, import them again from IE 4.No need to Redirect Appdata as that is the point of using UEV, it does mean a lot of templates though to get full coverage of your apps. We used to until we moved to UEV then stopped. I'm pretty sure that is mostly correct I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :-) Edited April 27, 2018 by rosslaing 1
PeterH Posted April 27, 2018 Posted April 27, 2018 1. There is a UE-V settings template here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Start-Menu-UE-V-Template-b44ad773 which enables roaming of taskbar items and startmenu layout. We don't allow users to customise start menu, but I did try it and it does seem to work OK for the taskbar. You might need to set the WaitForSyncOnLogon and WaitForSyncOnApplicationStart registry keys in HLKM\Software\Microsoft\UEV\Agent\Configuration. 2. Yes as has been said previously, you will need to use the settings template generator for any 3rd party apps 3. No it doesn't! Because Edge doesn't support UE-V. Why would it, it's only a Microsoft product after all. There is something called EdgeSync which might do the job. I haven't tried it yet, but you can find here: Synchronize Edge Favorites 4. No we don't 1
Arthur Posted April 27, 2018 Posted April 27, 2018 There is something called EdgeSync which might do the job. I haven't tried it yet, but you can find here: Synchronize Edge Favorites Couldn't you just enable the GPO called Keep favorites in sync between Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and have each users Favourites folder redirected to the network? https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#13621 2
PeterH Posted April 30, 2018 Posted April 30, 2018 Couldn't you just enable the GPO called Keep favorites in sync between Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and have each users Favourites folder redirected to the network? https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#13621 Yes it does! Thanks for that. I gave it a try and if you turn on this policy, and then add a favourite in Edge, it will appear in your favourites folder a moment later. Very handy.
mobybrick Posted November 24, 2018 Posted November 24, 2018 Hi, Sorry to reply to an old thread - just stumbled on it. The problem I found was that UEV bookmarks stored in the UEV location are not loaded into the local Bookmarks section for users logging on to a different or new PC, even with this GPO set. The user has to run IE to get the local bookmarks folder populated. There's a tiny utility that can be downloaded at http://www.stevesharrad.co.uk . Find the free software section and download 'FavSync' UEV + Edge now works and the bookmarks are automatically present when a user logs on to a new PC. The GPO still needs to be set for Edge and UEV to share templates. Hope this helps! Moby
rosslaing Posted November 26, 2018 Posted November 26, 2018 (edited) My understanding is this is they way UEV is meant to work. It only loads in application settings from UEV when the application is called, certainly all legacy apps. I would imagine that the modern apps like Edge however, are all called in some way during logon so this is why they are automatically present. I havent checked with the modern apps so this may be incorrect. but I certainly have seen the settings only populate for legacy apps when they are started. Edited November 26, 2018 by rosslaing
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now