Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 Hi folks, I've spotted that SMBv1 is enabled on our SIMS server. If I disable it, I can no longer map a drive to it, and cannot deploy SIMS. SMBv2 is enabled, according to the PowerShell command here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and Any ideas as to why PCs won't talk to the server if SMBv1 is disabled? Do clients have to have SMBv1 disabled to use SMBv2? Thanks
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 I just tested, and with both SMBv1 disabled on the client (Win 10) and the server (2012 R2) I can't browse file shares or RDP. Odd! Was mostly thinking to disable SMBv1 for virus reasons.
3s-gtech Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 Very odd. When I disabled SMBv1 on clients and servers, SIMS and mapped drives/share browsing weren't affected. Do you have Windows firewall getting in the way? Have you re-traced your way through the necessary steps to make sure everything has been switched on for SMBv2/3 support? 1
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 Firewall's off in the domain. Are there extra steps over and above just the straight switch off of v1? Oddly no other server seems affected, just our SIMS server.
Arthur Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 I just tested, and with both SMBv1 disabled on the client (Win 10) and the server (2012 R2) I can't browse file shares or RDP. Odd! Did you reboot after disabling? 1
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 Yes. (Extra text because I can't comment with less than 6 characters )
3s-gtech Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 Yes I think there are other steps, including registry changes. 1
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 There's mention of registry changes in the above Microsoft article, but that only seems to be if you want to make the change via registry rather than features or PowerShell.
3s-gtech Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 Have you made the client and server changes on the server? There were issues when this first did the rounds of people disabling the SMBv1 client protocol on the server, but leaving the SMBv1 server protocol enabled. I did that! Worth checking against the registry changes anyway, to double check that the correct settings are in place. 1
Arthur Posted February 12, 2018 Posted February 12, 2018 Firewall's off in the domain. Did you do this by stopping the firewall service? If so, that's why you won't be able to RDP or connect to servers. https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1954425-server-2012-windows-firewall-service-disabled-remotely
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 With 2012 R2, I disabled the feature. Is that the server or client protocol, and how would I do the other bit? Still using this as my reference, but nothing's leaping out at me in terms of server or client https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and
Gongalong Posted February 12, 2018 Author Posted February 12, 2018 Did you do this by stopping the firewall service? No. Just the domain bit is turned off, via GP.
Gongalong Posted August 8, 2018 Author Posted August 8, 2018 Finally had time to revisit the problem. I did change a few bits of registry, so can't guarantee it was just this, but this was definitely part of it: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer. DependsOnService. Ensured this was set to SamSS Srv2, not SamSS Srv. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation. DependsOnService. Ensured this was set to bowser mrxsmb20 nsi, not bowser mrxsmb10 mrxsmb20 nsi, or bowser mrxsmb10 nsi Now working in that I can browse the server and deploy SIMS. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now