Deaks Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 Looking for a sata or ide drive cage. One of those jobbies that goes into a number of 5.15 bays and allows for easy swapping of 3.5 drives.
ZeroHour Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 I would assume he has tried looked there already. He is appealing for private sales and not really posting a "where can I buy". Or at least thats what the point of these forums are.
kmount Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 Ah but one never assumes and for something like this, why bother with a private sale. :/ I'm guessing "Cage" didn't yield as much in a search as caddy or drawer.
ZeroHour Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 I will have a think about the prefixes and may add a [Wanted: private only] [Wanted: Any source] as a possible.
dhicks Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 (edited) Looking for a sata or ide drive cage. One of those jobbies that goes into a number of 5.15 bays and allows for easy swapping of 3.5 drives. I have a spare single-drive removable IDE caddy I bought in error off eBay (was looking for a SATA one). It's still in its shrink-wrapped box, you're welcome to it. PM me your address and I'll post it out to you. If you're looking for multi-bay devices, I've just bought a two-HDD RAID box from centralhardware.co.uk. They also sell 3-HDDs-into-2-5.25-slots and 5-HDDs-into-3-5.25-slots SATA enclosures that fit in the front of a standard PC case. The RAID device they sold me works a treat (I can swap and auto-rebuild harddrives whilst viewing video), although the fan is really quite noisy, not recommended for desktops, just for servers. -- David Hicks Edited March 6, 2008 by ZeroHour Shouldnt post his address
Deaks Posted March 6, 2008 Author Posted March 6, 2008 Thanks all but yes, I do of course know of all the usual sources and was hoping I could get one cheaper here that someone no longer needed. dhicks, looking for a multi-bay one but thanks for the offer, will check those links too.
dhicks Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 dhicks, looking for a multi-bay one but thanks for the offer, will check those links too. Tell us what you buy and if it works okay - I've got to try and convince the Bursar that we need some better storage facilities, so I was thinking of buying a couple of those multi-bay caddies and making a couple of file servers. At £50-odd or whatever they are I figure I can't go too far wrong, but I'd like to know how you get on if you buy one first! -- David Hicks
contink Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 Tell us what you buy and if it works okay - I've got to try and convince the Bursar that we need some better storage facilities, so I was thinking of buying a couple of those multi-bay caddies and making a couple of file servers. At £50-odd or whatever they are I figure I can't go too far wrong, but I'd like to know how you get on if you buy one first! I've installed three different IcyBox multi-SATA drive hot swap doohickies ranging from 4 drives to a 5 drive which I got for my own server. Can't complain at all and very easy to install..
dhicks Posted March 6, 2008 Posted March 6, 2008 I've installed three different IcyBox multi-SATA drive hot swap doohickies ranging from 4 drives to a 5 drive which I got for my own server. Can't complain at all and very easy to install.. Thanks, good to know. -- David Hicks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now