Simcfc73 Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 (edited) Evening guys, this footballs boring by the way Just wanted a bit of advice on Sharepoint 07, theres a couple of features I like but I'm not sure if I can justify the cost even with my schools agreement. How is it implemented in other schools? Been looking through the Training material and I can just about work out how we could use it but how far do you guys go with it with regard to storing files, can home folders be used with it or is that too far? Call me old fashioned (and I am) but I prefer file level recovery for backup and recovery. Just confused about how other schools have implemented it, any knowledge you guys can share would be greatly appreciated.. Oh god. extra time now Edited February 27, 2008 by Simcfc73
zag Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 We use it as our portal to every service in the school basically. Sharepoint has been a revelation. Links to our library system, reporting system, webmail, shared file areas are all displayed on the main page Also used for communication and notices to staff and students Lists staff contact details Used to run lessons and store lesson plans Finally we use it to stream videos to classrooms There are 3rd party products such as frog teach that link the home directories to sharepoint but personally I dont see the point in this, the current system works perfectly well.
GlennT Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 MOSS 2007 has the "Recycle Bin" feature so if kids delete stuff, you can restore individual files from there. We currently let student have a "My Site" to store work that they are working on so I suppose you could use that feature rather than a traditional "Folder on a file server" type thing. We are upgrading from 2003 to 2007 over the Summer. 2007 looks very impressive!
sidewinder Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Is Sharepoint server generally included with the Schools Agreement?
GlennT Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 We have ours licenced seperately [long story] but yes I think you can and it's not mega bucks from what I remember.
Simcfc73 Posted February 28, 2008 Author Posted February 28, 2008 Just got a price through, £215 + vat for the standard edition
apearce Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Which features do you like as you so features only come with Enterprise and not with Standard and you may get what you are looking for in Windows SharePoint Services which you can get from free and don't require any CALs
torledo Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 We use it as our portal to every service in the school basically. Sharepoint has been a revelation. Links to our library system, reporting system, webmail, shared file areas are all displayed on the main page Also used for communication and notices to staff and students Lists staff contact details Used to run lessons and store lesson plans Finally we use it to stream videos to classrooms There are 3rd party products such as frog teach that link the home directories to sharepoint but personally I dont see the point in this, the current system works perfectly well. how do you and you're team go about extending and customizing sharpoint for use in you're school ? Is there are a lot of webpart development going on within schools and what is the language of choice for customizing i.e c# or vb.net. I ask as i've been told you can get quite far without any coding, but that to pull data from other sources and to customize you need to get into c#. Is there any truth to that ?
zag Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 how do you and you're team go about extending and customizing sharpoint for use in you're school ? Is there are a lot of webpart development going on within schools and what is the language of choice for customizing i.e c# or vb.net. I ask as i've been told you can get quite far without any coding, but that to pull data from other sources and to customize you need to get into c#. Is there any truth to that ? No way, nothing custom, they are just web links to other systems, or standard microsoft webparts. You can also show a webpage in sharepoint no problem which is how our room booking systems are integrated. We do buy a webpart called vidflow from akhter for the video streaming stuff but again it takes 10mins to install and configure. Depends what you want to do really, but I see no need to programming things on sharepoint, its incredibly simple to configure and administer.
apearce Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Below is a list of links i posted before about different ideas of sharepoint - also shows what the possibilities are with a bit of research on the internet. Another link I have come across is of Twynham school and their VLE. http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/archive/2008/02/19/examplar-sharepoint-site-in-education-using-sql-2005-reports-in-moss.aspx I use sharepoint in 10 schools and use all the basic features to do with collobration and communication and have incorporated other products to move these on inlcuding exchange, ocs and windows server 2008, slk etc I hope this helps! -------------------------------- I'm always looking at a adding new things to sharepoint - like OBA (Office Business Application), Access to applications, Silverlight, RDP. Take a look at a few areas on codeplex to help add ideas to your site. Things like Search Server 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/enterprises...r/default.aspx Tafiti - http://www.tafiti.com/ - http://www.codeplex.com/WLQuickApps Silverlight in sharepoint - http://iancampbell.blogspot.com/2008...r-webpart.html Community Kit for SharePoint - http://www.codeplex.com/CKS Terminal Services - http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/a...p-in-moss.aspx Others http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/a...ia-player.aspx http://www.wssdemo.com/Pages/silverlight.aspx http://www.contenteditorwebpart.com/default.aspx http://www.sharepointblogs.com/bobby...-for-free.aspx I dont even think this is a % of the possibilities of sharepoint in education. 2
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 @ITTECH: How much was vidflow? Can anyone point me in the direction of some useful guides in setting up Sharepoint 07 and the webparts that can be installed? Wes
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 @apearce: Good grief thats a lot of info thanks! Wes
torledo Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Below is a list of links i posted before about different ideas of sharepoint - also shows what the possibilities are with a bit of research on the internet. Another link I have come across is of Twynham school and their VLE. http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/archive/2008/02/19/examplar-sharepoint-site-in-education-using-sql-2005-reports-in-moss.aspx I use sharepoint in 10 schools and use all the basic features to do with collobration and communication and have incorporated other products to move these on inlcuding exchange, ocs and windows server 2008, slk etc I hope this helps! -------------------------------- I'm always looking at a adding new things to sharepoint - like OBA (Office Business Application), Access to applications, Silverlight, RDP. Take a look at a few areas on codeplex to help add ideas to your site. Things like Search Server 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/enterprises...r/default.aspx Tafiti - http://www.tafiti.com/ - http://www.codeplex.com/WLQuickApps Silverlight in sharepoint - http://iancampbell.blogspot.com/2008...r-webpart.html Community Kit for SharePoint - http://www.codeplex.com/CKS Terminal Services - http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/a...p-in-moss.aspx Others http://www.sharepointblogs.com/ajp/a...ia-player.aspx http://www.wssdemo.com/Pages/silverlight.aspx http://www.contenteditorwebpart.com/default.aspx http://www.sharepointblogs.com/bobby...-for-free.aspx I dont even think this is a % of the possibilities of sharepoint in education. apearce when you say you've implemented sharepoint in 10 schools do you mean as a supplier of sharepoint VLE or do you work in some capacity for the LA, rolling out sharepoint solutions ?
apearce Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 I'm a network manager for a school. Have done stand alone installs for schools, supported on a development point of view and also as a step by step stage to getting their staff, users and parents on board.
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Could anyone tell me how I change the default URL settings within sharepoint? when you go to our external IP address portal e.g. portal.school.lea.sch.uk it asks for the username and password as normal however once entered it tries to go to our internal URL address schoolnameportal which of course brings up a 500 internal server error. Any ideas guys I can give you the real address if needs be? Wes
apearce Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 This is in your alternative access mapping in your central admin. http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/be9d31d2-b9cb-4442-bfc6-2adcdbff8fae1033.mspx?mfr=true 1
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Right it's now not asking for authentication and bringing up 401 error? Any thought on this I can PM you the address to try if you want? Wes
apearce Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 restart IIS - and then restart teh server if it still isn't working
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 It seems to be only doing this from and external web browser. Giving the following: You are not authorized to view this page You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied because your Web browser is sending a WWW-Authenticate header field that the Web server is not configured to accept. Please try the following: * Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page. * Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials. HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to server configuration. Internet Information Services (IIS) Technical Information (for support personnel) * Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401. * Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Authentication, and About Custom Error Messages. Doesn't have the problem internally though, through either Firefox or IE?
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Looks like the error is caused because it's using integrated authentication. How would I setup the external URL to work via 443? Wes
wesleyw Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 Actually how would I setup SSL internally and externally as I'm using Basic Authentication and SSL to provide the login. Wes
SOSAGES Posted February 28, 2008 Posted February 28, 2008 i recently went for a hosted wss v3 solution and im very happy i take back everything i said about v1 and v2
wesleyw Posted February 29, 2008 Posted February 29, 2008 Yep I think I setup the web listener right i've added the certs now but still can't get anywhere. Wes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now