Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Blocking invalid ssl certs with Squid


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

...and Dansguardian

 

We have the usual proxy avoidance problems - the http ones can be blocked via regular expressions, and the http redirector for the https one can also be blocked by regular expression. This leaves direction connections to https:// site to be blocked when the logs are parsed.

 

I wondered if there's a way to block based on an unsigned/self-signed ssl certificate, but I'm unsure how to go about it and I found ufdbGuard at http://www.urlfilterdb.com which says it can check for invalid ssl certs.

 

Has anyone else found ways to detect this?

 

So far I can check if a certificate has expired by using http://prefetch.net/articles/checkcertificate.html

 

I'm thinking of something like:

User requests ssl_site -> squid/dansguardian sees request and issues its own request to ssl_site, openssl checks that certificate is trusted and user request is either processed or denied. Checked and ok sites could be cached for "X" amount of time.

 

I just haven't worked out the mechanics or the overhead this would place on each request.

Edited by pete
Posted
FWIW, this feature will be in Guardian08 feature-pack1, we believe it will do a lot to alleviate https circumvention proxies.

 

Nice to hear, I'm going to upgrade Schools Guardian 2008 in the next couple of weeks :)

 

Any ETA for SP1?

Posted
Nice to hear, I'm going to upgrade Schools Guardian 2008 in the next couple of weeks :)

 

Any ETA for SP1?

 

It should be out in late June, early July, all things being equal, with the general aim to get a release before you lot go on yer summer hols. There should be a couple of interesting new bits in there... new reports, some new controls in guardian... user delegated reporting.. hmm, best go poke the dev team with something sharp :)

  • 5 months later...
Posted

Just a quick note to say I've got ufdbguard working and it's rather good. I'm using it in conjunction with dansguardian as a means to block invalid ssl certs and identify ssl proxy tunnels.

 

Example results:

2008-08-04 13:45:01 [10722] SSL certificate common name `localhost.localdomain' doesn't match hostname `www.magnetmice.com' *****
2008-08-04 13:45:02 [10722] BLOCK - IPADDRESS allSystems security www.magnetmice.com:443 -
2008-08-04 13:45:07 [10722] BLOCK - IPADDRESS allSystems security www.magnetmice.com:443 -
2008-08-04 13:45:15 [10722] SSL certificate for thornfruit.com: unrecognised issuer
2008-08-04 13:45:15 [10722]    issuer: /C=Y1/ST=6Asx5bsLCQ/L=Aj8zmKQJ7f/O=mz7lirB8PgDrbbCTdKiX/OU=50FfS/CN=ygd3gIDRiOV/[email protected] *****
2008-08-04 13:45:15 [10722]    this issuer is not a recognised certificate authority
2008-08-04 13:45:15 [10722] SSL certificate common name `rwGR9ZhA2i4y' doesn't match hostname `thornfruit.com' *****
2008-08-04 13:45:28 [10722] BLOCK - IPADDRESS allSystems security thornfruit.com:443 -

 

Tip: to give it a list of valid trusted SSL certs/CAs, copy (or symlink) /etc/ssl/cert/ca-certificates.crt to $ufdbinstalldir/blacklists/security/cacerts.

 

*waits to see how many curriculum web-based apps use dodgy certs*

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...