Gongalong Posted August 1, 2016 Posted August 1, 2016 Hi folks, Have any of you updated the controller and drive firmware on an HP SAN? Specifically, an MSA 2040 in our case. Just checking how likely it is to be a smooth operation, or whether it can be problematic. We of course have backups, but I’ll go belt and braces if there’s the remotest chance of it breaking the volumes etc. (We’re updating due to a couple of controller crashes in the year we’ve been using it, update recommended by HP.) Thanks
johnat1121 Posted August 1, 2016 Posted August 1, 2016 I updated two of these with no adverse affect however we did the controllers first one by one, the one with the latest firmware would take over, for the disks we had to stop all I/O on the arrays and disconnect the hosts which was a right pitta, then getting the hyper-v cluster happy again was the biggest problem. 1
Gongalong Posted August 2, 2016 Author Posted August 2, 2016 HP's support recommended the separate controller update, although curiously their support document doesn't. It seems that the disk upgrade can be done as long as there's no data activity, which I'm hoping that VM shutdown will ensure.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now