Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just messing about with a spare PC to use as a test box and needed to put a SATA hard disk in so changed the PSU for one that has SATA power connectors.

 

The new PSU also has the extra 4 pin part that fits next to the main power connector, which is present on this motherboard, but was not connected with the old PSU. Do I need to use this? There is also the additional P4 4 pin power cable present both on the PSU and motherboard. So do I need both? or just 1? What do the extra 4 pins on the main connector actually do?

Posted

edit: re-read post... I shall refrain from teaching grandma to suck eggs... *doh!*.

 

To answer the question properly... if it worked before it should work again but if you have the correct cable for it I'd use it... Can't hurt right?

Posted
You will need to use the 4 Pin P4 power connector, without this the board will likley not post. As for the 21-24 pins of the ATX power connector you do not need to use this (it will probably become a requirement on future boards as did the P4 4 Pin connector) but as you have the connection availble on the new PSU I would connect it anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...