Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

A good 5/6 years ago our school acquired a large sports facility, then owned by the Civil Service. Their sports teams still play there, but the facility is owned by us and the official name has the school's name in it.

However on Wikipedia it is still listed under the old name, with little info, just as a cricket ground. The problem is, Google displays that Wikipedia info when someone searches for our facility, and understandably since the school has spent a lot of money buying and maintaining it, they would like to see the correct name appear.

 

So the Wikipedia page needs to be edited, but not just that, the whole name of the page has to change since the name of the place is now different - I can't even work out how to edit the name? I'm not planning to add much to the actual article except to say when it was bought etc and I won't delete any of the content.

 

But the reason I'm posting this is I know that if you dont do everything exactly by the book with Wikipedia, it will all be reverted back within hours, so how do I go about this in the 'right' way? I already know to do the editing with my personal account, and from a different IP address to the school :)

Posted
But the reason I'm posting this is I know that if you dont do everything exactly by the book with Wikipedia, it will all be reverted back within hours, so how do I go about this in the 'right' way?

 

TBH, you don't. Wikipedia is now in this weird situation where only the "right" editors are allowed to make changes.

 

Anyone else's changes are reverted with no/BS reasons given, and if you argue it [because you're actually right] you get banned.

Posted (edited)

Try adding something to the talk page saying:

 

"Hey, I'm Bob from Schoolname. I'm aware we shouldn't update the page ourselves but the information is significantly out of date and creates a false impression of the facilities available. This has negatively impacted school finances. How can I get this information updated?"

 

The talk page will often point to people responsible for that regional area too.

 

But as @X-13 says, Wikipedia is where tumblrinas go when they age so don't expect too much.

Edited by pete
  • Thanks 3
Posted
Write on the talk page. If no-one responds within a week or so, go ahead and make the changes. If it gets reverted, contact the person who reverted it (their username is shown in the history for the page).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...