Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

But I have a volume licence!

 

I've just started tinkering with Vista on a VM so I can get group policies set up. I've got a volume license from Ramesys, and this is the first time I've used it.

 

Just tried to activate it, typed in the activation code on the Ramesys invoice, and I get this.

 

The product key you typed is already in use

 

Then it gives a series of options, none of which are realistic:-

 

Buy another key - **** off

Enter another key - I don't need to I've got a license for this.

Use the automated phone system - what? every time I install Vista?

Contact MS to resolve this problem. - Maybe I should calm down first.

 

:mad::mad::mad:

Posted
It may be like my TechNet licence where I'm only allowed 10 activations. IIRC. With Vista there are no 'volume' keys as they want you to install it off WDS and use the new Windows bulk licensing mechanism via the server licensing component. Talk about locking your customers out of your products!
Posted
But I have a volume licence!

 

I've just started tinkering with Vista on a VM so I can get group policies set up. I've got a volume license from Ramesys, and this is the first time I've used it.

 

Just tried to activate it, typed in the activation code on the Ramesys invoice, and I get this.

 

 

 

Then it gives a series of options, none of which are realistic:-

 

Buy another key - **** off

Enter another key - I don't need to I've got a license for this.

Use the automated phone system - what? every time I install Vista?

Contact MS to resolve this problem. - Maybe I should calm down first.

 

:mad::mad::mad:

 

There is no one key for Vista unless you have a Key management server and key.

 

MAK Keys use a single limited use key (mine are 150 activations for example), each time it activates the number remaining reduce. KMS keys are single keys which are used for a local activation server that returns the number in use to MS, machines need to access the server every 6 months to reactivate.

 

What type of Vista are you using? MAK and KMS keys can only be used with business and enterprise.

 

If you are using Ultimate then you require one unique unused key per machine. You can also only get ultimate under a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista was released, all ms do is send you a list of single use keys if they find your license request is valid.

Posted

Thanks. I have Business Edition, but I don't know what MAK or KMS means. It looks like I'll have to do more reading.

 

I was avoiding using WDS because I couldn't get it to replace my RIS server in deploying XP. Is it possible to use RIS and WDS together in the same network? I suspect it isn't.

 

Project Vista is becoming bigger the more I look at it.

 

 

(PS I saw Gavin from Smoothwall yesterday. He told me you'd had a great night out at BETT. I'll have to get down there next year).

Posted

How do I find out if the key I have is MAK or KMS? Or can keys be used as either? Does this mean I have to set up a local activation server?

 

This is going to be a day of reading MS Technet, I think! Pass the Optrex, please.

Posted
How do I find out if the key I have is MAK or KMS? Or can keys be used as either? Does this mean I have to set up a local activation server?

 

This is going to be a day of reading MS Technet, I think! Pass the Optrex, please.

 

You can see and request MAK (Multiple activation key) and KMS keys on your MS license agreements. (https://licensing.microsoft.com)

 

MAK keys KMS are different, and you are unlikely to get a KMS key without being able to get into the MS license site.

 

As you are using Ramesys I expect you are well and truly stuffed. They couldn't organize a simple schools agreement renewal in 6 months when I used them (never again!).

 

As your key expired then it's not going to be a MAK or KMS key, just an ordinary non vol key I should think.

Posted

I have both MAK and KMS keys which you get from the licensing site DMcCoy posted, if you have a correctly set up license agreement that is :)

 

As said KMS key is used on the machine that is going to act as the local Activation server, you need 25 clients running Vista though to use KMS.

Posted
You can see and request MAK (Multiple activation key) and KMS keys on your MS license agreements. (https://licensing.microsoft.com)

 

MAK keys KMS are different, and you are unlikely to get a KMS key without being able to get into the MS license site.

 

As you are using Ramesys I expect you are well and truly stuffed. They couldn't organize a simple schools agreement renewal in 6 months when I used them (never again!).

 

 

Thanks. I've been to the MS licensing site, and requested access to the agreement, using the number on the Ramesys invoice. The number was validated, so should be OK.

 

I've phoned Ramesys and they said it's a MAK key, but they give the same ones out to a lot of customers, so it looks like it's been fully used. They're going to send me another key.

 

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to find my way through this.

Posted
I was avoiding using WDS because I couldn't get it to replace my RIS server in deploying XP. Is it possible to use RIS and WDS together in the same network? I suspect it isn't.

 

Probablly using some VLAN jiggery pokery it would be...we use vlans for that reason [well... one of them... well, it works out handy as a result lol].

 

Nath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...