Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I hope this is the correct section. Recently we have had problems with a server running out of space, 0 bytes of space at times. Every time we found something to delete or move (helpdesk backups mainly), the space would be lost within a few hours and we ran out of things to move or delete. I found a program called WinDirStat which tells you what files are the largest. It pointed to the Microsoft Data Protection Manager file which had 56Gb of data. This then pointed to the temp files which needed access to get into, so this was a previously hidden folder we couldn't see (c:\program files\microsoft data protection manager\dpm\temp). In here contains CRASH files, which are filling up at quite a rate, and quite high in size.

 

As of now (11:15am 16/07/15), there are 46 CRASH files that have been generated since Midnight today, which take up 374MB of space. These previously dated back to 2013 as we couldn't see the files, and explains the 50+GB of data. They started off in Kb, now they're growing in size, from 5Mb to 9Mb in a few days. The file name is DPMRACurr.errlog with the date next to it.

 

These are going to keep being generated and keep eating space. My question is, does anyone know how to stop these from being generated? At least slow them down so we're not getting 4 per hour, or limit the size of the file? I don't think anyone has used them, we didn't even know they existed until I found them yesterday. I'm relatively new at this school and I haven't used DPM, although I *somewhat* know my way around SCCM.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted (edited)

That's a similar problem from looking at it. I have just found out that DPM is failing the back up of the server where the log files are created. The description is "The protection agent on *server* was temporarily unable to respond because it was in an unexpected state. (ID 60 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909B0)"

 

Now I need to figure out why it's not being able to be backed up.

 

Edit: The DPM is 2012 R2 and is on the latest version 4.2.1312.0 (Update Roll out 6), so all known issues that cause this as mentioned in the link above should be fixed.

 

I don't know my way around DPM. Is there a way to change the sync time from 15 mins? If the server isn't backing up, at least I can slow down the log files until I can try and figure out what's going on.

Edited by Zer0
Posted

I manage about 7 DPM Servers so know my way around it quite well........... If there is no space on the protected server DPM wont be able to back it up but I would look here first..........

 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/62e66b66-fe83-48fb-afec-111206a08154/dpm-2012-r2-synchronizations-fail-after-1hour-20-min-error-code-60?forum=dpmfilebackup

 

To change the sync time you need to amend the protection group.

 

Useful for anyone....

 

List of Build Numbers for System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Posted (edited)
I manage about 7 DPM Servers so know my way around it quite well........... If there is no space on the protected server DPM wont be able to back it up but I would look here first..........

 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/62e66b66-fe83-48fb-afec-111206a08154/dpm-2012-r2-synchronizations-fail-after-1hour-20-min-error-code-60?forum=dpmfilebackup

 

To change the sync time you need to amend the protection group.

 

Useful for anyone....

 

List of Build Numbers for System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

 

Thanks Ian. We created space on the server now. There was a problem with VMware in which we couldn't add more space. Once that was fixed more space was added. It now has enough room 'breathe' yet it's still failing.

 

I found the way to change the frequency time but in the protection group we have other servers in. If I just select the folders for that server and click on next and change the time, would that just affect the only ones I changed and leave the others as is?

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Edit: From everything I can see it appears that it's the protection agent that's failed on the server which is creating the logs. I'm hesitant to uninstall it and reinstall it or even update it as the DPM server is a physical server, so no snapshot option in case I balls it up. I'll have to wait until the workload calms down a bit and the Network manager isn't as busy. It's manic!

Edited by Zer0
Posted
Thanks Ian. We created space on the server now. There was a problem with VMware in which we couldn't add more space. Once that was fixed more space was added. It now has enough room 'breathe' yet it's still failing.

 

I found the way to change the frequency time but in the protection group we have other servers in. If I just select the folders for that server and click on next and change the time, would that just affect the only ones I changed and leave the others as is?

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Edit: From everything I can see it appears that it's the protection agent that's failed on the server which is creating the logs. I'm hesitant to uninstall it and reinstall it or even update it as the DPM server is a physical server, so no snapshot option in case I balls it up. I'll have to wait until the workload calms down a bit and the Network manager isn't as busy. It's manic!

 

If you amend the protection group settings it will amend it for all servers within that group.

 

If you go into DPM > Management > Agents, right click the agent and click refresh what error is it giving you?

 

Is the latest agent version installed?

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
If you amend the protection group settings it will amend it for all servers within that group.

 

If you go into DPM > Management > Agents, right click the agent and click refresh what error is it giving you?

 

Is the latest agent version installed?

 

Sorry for the late reply. Been out of office for the past week. The agents need to be updated and is currently on 4.2.1235.0. This is the same version as all of the other agents. I think if I try the update first and that doesn't work, then an uninstall and reinstall of the agent for that server may work?

Posted
Sorry for the late reply. Been out of office for the past week. The agents need to be updated and is currently on 4.2.1235.0. This is the same version as all of the other agents. I think if I try the update first and that doesn't work, then an uninstall and reinstall of the agent for that server may work?

 

4.2.1235.0 is Update Rollup 2, so you'll need to push the new Agents out now, you can do this from the DPM console.

Posted
4.2.1235.0 is Update Rollup 2, so you'll need to push the new Agents out now, you can do this from the DPM console.

 

Just taking a screenshot of the server that needs the new agent. I'll try the update first and see what happens with this. If this doesn't work then I'll uninstall and reinstall the agent. As the error I'm getting is mentioning that the protection agent is temporarily unable to respond it's the only thing that makes sense, at least to me.

Posted (edited)
Just taking a screenshot of the server that needs the new agent. I'll try the update first and see what happens with this. If this doesn't work then I'll uninstall and reinstall the agent. As the error I'm getting is mentioning that the protection agent is temporarily unable to respond it's the only thing that makes sense, at least to me.

 

Updating the agents is straight forward process in DPM, if the agents are refusing to update go to the server which has the agent and manually install it, Agents on the DPM server are normally in:

 

\\YOUR DPM SERVER\C$\Microsoft System Center 2012\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\agents\RA

 

You will then need to tell the agent which DPM Server is needs to point too using the following command, again on the server you are protecting with the agent:

 

CMD /C

CD\program files\microsoft data protection manager\dpm\bin\

 

setdpmserver -dpmservername

 

Once the agent has been manually installed and the command pumped in on the protected server go back to your DPM server and right click the agent you've just updated and click refresh and it should be fine.

Edited by IanT
Posted

Just updated the agent and is now on 4.2.1312.0 and showing as no more available updates. Agents status is showing OK (but it was before as well even thought it wasn't working). I'll keep my eye on the monitoring section and see if it fails or not.

 

Thank you for all your help!

Posted
Just updated the agent and is now on 4.2.1312.0 and showing as no more available updates. Agents status is showing OK (but it was before as well even thought it wasn't working). I'll keep my eye on the monitoring section and see if it fails or not.

 

Thank you for all your help!

 

Great, looks good!

Posted
Great, looks good!

Unfortunately not. It's still failing. I'll go down the route of uninstalling the agent and reinstalling it. See if that works. If not, then I think I will open a call with MS.

Posted
Unfortunately not. It's still failing. I'll go down the route of uninstalling the agent and reinstalling it. See if that works. If not, then I think I will open a call with MS.

 

I thought you said the agent you did came back as an OK status?

 

How did you get on anyway?

Posted
I thought you said the agent you did came back as an OK status?

 

How did you get on anyway?

 

It did. And it's on the latest version 4.2.1312.0 but it's still failing the sync with the same problem of "The protection agent on *server* was temporarily unable to respond because it was in an unexpected state. (ID 60 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909B0)"

 

I'm going to look into it more today in between the other jobs we have to do!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...