rpettit Posted May 25, 2015 Posted May 25, 2015 Hello, I am a network manager and would like to investigate further the possibility of having an apprentice. How do I go out this? Do I contact a local college? How did you do it...?
dastrix Posted May 25, 2015 Posted May 25, 2015 Yeah approach a local college, we have been doing this for a couple of years now and been fairly successful.
Rodders Posted May 25, 2015 Posted May 25, 2015 Yep, your local college(s) will have someone there that takes care of apprenticeships... the contacts at our local colleges work in a department called 'Directorate of Employer Engagement'... good luck in finding a decent newbie!
DavePa Posted May 26, 2015 Posted May 26, 2015 We've had good success with this and have always ended up with excellent apprentices but have on occasion struggled to find them. Sadly it does seem that some of the interviewees turn up because mum or dad make them come along - the same mum or dad who insist that they are cut out for a job in IT as they spend all day on the computer. As I've said many a time, 12hrs a day on Facebook and a raft of maxxed out WoW characters is not necessarily a good basis for working in IT! Be prepared for some apathy but if you are like us you will find the right one eventually and they will be a massive benefit to you
FragglePete Posted May 26, 2015 Posted May 26, 2015 We had an apprentice a couple of years ago; he's since gone on to great things and looking after primary school network with a bigger budget than me! However, on trying to find a replacement apprentice the candidates were appalling. Real shame, but I think the time of year didn't help so for now we've taken on a proper technician. Pete
DalekSec Posted May 26, 2015 Posted May 26, 2015 As I've said many a time, 12hrs a day on Facebook and a raft of maxxed out WoW characters is not necessarily a good basis for working in IT Really? I thought my 4 lvl 100's that I shown on my CV got me my apprenticeship, I still think its no coincidence that I quit wow and two weeks later I got a apprenticeship.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now