localzuk Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700. I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above). So, any suggestions/ideas how people do it at the moment?
plexer Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/environmental-monitoring-essentials.php
localzuk Posted November 26, 2007 Author Posted November 26, 2007 Looks good, I'd probably go for the Senturian and some probes - how do you then hook it up to send SMS's?
plexer Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 Dunno I don't have one just looked at openxtra before. Ben
localzuk Posted November 26, 2007 Author Posted November 26, 2007 I gave them a call, and it seems that to do this, you need intellipool network monitor and a SMS/GSM modem (either fixed line or GSM type) to do it - which costs about £150 at site prices. Then add in the rest, and I have a solution for about £712.50. Let's see if they'll do me a discount.
zag Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 Very cool! Not heard of this type of device before
ctbjs Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 Next do a good set of thermometer cufflinks for a tenner, and they actually work!!
torledo Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 Very cool! Not heard of this type of device before Really, Have you been living under a rock ? Anyway I would recommend a APC/netbotz starting at around £500. You can get all sorts of additional sensors. And it communicate to your snmp management console, plus integration for those who can afford Openview. http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=335 Seeing as he's got the cash this is the best option IMHO.
Ric_ Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 You could always look at the Nagios recommended stuff (see http://www.nagios.org/products/ ). Option 2 would be to stick an SNMP management card in your UPS and then you only need two-wire sensors for door contact and water (there is a thermomenter included with the card). This can then 'speak' to Nagios without any poblems.
steve Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 We have a couple of these: http://www.climate-monitor.co.uk/ 5% Education Discount
monkey_boy Posted November 26, 2007 Posted November 26, 2007 How common are these in schools? I've heard of them and seen them used in businesses, but never really imagined it to be worthwhile in a school.
localzuk Posted November 26, 2007 Author Posted November 26, 2007 How common are these in schools? I've heard of them and seen them used in businesses, but never really imagined it to be worthwhile in a school. I don't know how common they are, but put it this way, how much is your server equipment worth? 30k? 40k? If the A/C unit fails, you could end up with overheating servers - costly. If the room floods, you'll end up with fried servers - costly. If someone goes in and tries to access the cabinet without a key, your confidential data is at risk. All these things are worth preventing - especially for the cost of £700 or so!
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 We have a couple of these: http://www.climate-monitor.co.uk/ 5% Education Discount I had a look, but in order to hook the system up to use SMS messages, you have to buy a piece of software called SMS 500 - which hooks into Exchange, which we don't run. Shame really.
torledo Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 We have a couple of these: http://www.climate-monitor.co.uk/ 5% Education Discount I had a look, but in order to hook the system up to use SMS messages, you have to buy a piece of software called SMS 500 - which hooks into Exchange, which we don't run. Shame really. The netbotz can be setup for sms without additional software, but you do require a CompactFlash GSM/GPRS compatible modem, you would have to budget an additional £100 for this.
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 For what I want to do, the Netbotz seems a bit too expensive - comes to about £400 more than the openxtra/sensatronics stuff.
torledo Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 For what I want to do, the Netbotz seems a bit too expensive - comes to about £400 more than the openxtra/sensatronics stuff. But you said your budget was £700
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 Yes, and that would mean my overall cost would be about £1100 for a netbotz system containing all the bits I want - compared to the openxtra system costing a total of £800
torledo Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700. I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above). So, any suggestions/ideas how people do it at the moment? I don't know where you're getting £1100 for the configuration you want. You've asked to monitor the basics, and the netbotz 320 rackmount base appliance costs £499 ERP. particule, temperature, humidty sensors AND the gsm modem should add up to know more than £400. You're using nagios so you don't need WUG or OPV integration. That's only £100 more than your other option. And that's before even speaking to a reseller who may be able to get you further discounts. I'm not quite sure what additional sensors or accessories you're adding (probably unnecessarily) that bumps the figure up to £1100 for the 'basics' you need. Anyway, I don't work for APC so you can buy whatever takes your fancy - and your option looks perfectly decent. But don't discount something BEFORE you find out what you can really get for your money.
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700. I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above). So, any suggestions/ideas how people do it at the moment? I don't know where you're getting £1100 for the configuration you want. You've asked to monitor the basics, and the netbotz 320 rackmount base appliance costs £499 ERP. particule, temperature, humidty sensors AND the gsm modem should add up to know more than £400. You're using nagios so you don't need WUG or OPV integration. That's only £100 more than your other option. And that's before even speaking to a reseller who may be able to get you further discounts. I'm not quite sure what additional sensors or accessories you're adding (probably unnecessarily) that bumps the figure up to £1100 for the 'basics' you need. Anyway, I don't work for APC so you can buy whatever takes your fancy - and your option looks perfectly decent. But don't discount something BEFORE you find out what you can really get for your money. Well, from the reseller I have spoken to, a netbotz unit with a water sensor (flooding sensor), 4 door sensors and 1 room temperature sensor. Plus the SMS part came to nearly £1100... Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't do what we want for the price. Also, it is rude of you to say 'probably unnecessarily' as you don't know the specifics.
torledo Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 I have been told to go ahead and buy a server room environment monitoring system and have a budget of around £500 - £700. I would like this system to monitor the basics (rising water, room temperature, server cabinet access, power etc...) and I would like it to report to me via a) Nagios or similar during normal hours and b) via SMS message outsisde normal hours. The school landlines come into that room, so the monitor could interface with them or if necessary, a mobile gateway could be purchased (would have to be included in the cost above). So, any suggestions/ideas how people do it at the moment? I don't know where you're getting £1100 for the configuration you want. You've asked to monitor the basics, and the netbotz 320 rackmount base appliance costs £499 ERP. particule, temperature, humidty sensors AND the gsm modem should add up to know more than £400. You're using nagios so you don't need WUG or OPV integration. That's only £100 more than your other option. And that's before even speaking to a reseller who may be able to get you further discounts. I'm not quite sure what additional sensors or accessories you're adding (probably unnecessarily) that bumps the figure up to £1100 for the 'basics' you need. Anyway, I don't work for APC so you can buy whatever takes your fancy - and your option looks perfectly decent. But don't discount something BEFORE you find out what you can really get for your money. Well, from the reseller I have spoken to, a netbotz unit with a water sensor (flooding sensor), 4 door sensors and 1 room temperature sensor. Plus the SMS part came to nearly £1100... Thank you for the suggestion, but it doesn't do what we want for the price. Also, it is rude of you to say 'probably unnecessarily' as you don't know the specifics. I said 'probably unnecessarily' becuase resellers will quote for items that are not required often overspeccing. That's particularly the case if as an end-user you're not familiar with the product. Always good to get a breakdown of the component parts, and as I've said the prices for the APC solutoins is advertised on the web so you're not left groping in the dark when comparing with how a reseller has priced the solution. That's how I came to my figure of £900 because I viewed the ERP prices for the sensors and base appliance and matched that with your basic requirements. I'm doubly convinced seeing as your sensor requirements are modest with just a handful of sensors. Anyway good luck to you with the solution you've chosen. Didn't mean to be rude.
DMcCoy Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 I just have a heat monitor for my UPS so it can shut everything down when it gets too hot. I decided that monitoring with no action wasn't that useful as I need it to not burst into flames when I'm asleep or unable to get onsite (like evenings, weekends, holidays). I guess water would be useful seeing as last winter I had water coming in under the door and through the roof. Luckily only one cabinet got a little wet and the ups shutdown when the switch's plug shorted out. Stopped a foot short of my high value cabinet. Nothing broke in the end
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 Water is one of my main worries - as the water table is roughly 20mm below the surface of the floor in that area... and the actual room is underground. Is there such a thing as a waterproof cabinet?
Ric_ Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 @localzuk: If you attach some water wings to the bottom of your rack it will simply float up as the water pours in On a more serious note, you could use 47u cabs and leave the bottom 5u or so empty (blanked off) just incase water does get in.
DMcCoy Posted November 27, 2007 Posted November 27, 2007 @localzuk: If you attach some water wings to the bottom of your rack it will simply float up as the water pours in On a more serious note, you could use 47u cabs and leave the bottom 5u or so empty (blanked off) just incase water does get in. You just get crushed to death then when the cabinet falls over when you try and move it
localzuk Posted November 27, 2007 Author Posted November 27, 2007 @localzuk: If you attach some water wings to the bottom of your rack it will simply float up as the water pours in On a more serious note, you could use 47u cabs and leave the bottom 5u or so empty (blanked off) just incase water does get in. Lol, but I'm not strong enough to life the 2 UPS's 5U higher in the cabinet, and there isn't enough room for 2 people to move them
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now