Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

How to add drives to backup using robocopy


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all

I have just got much bigger backup cartridges and I need to modify our backup so that more is done.

We backup using robocopy as follows:

REM Backup script

 

SET log_fname=%prefix%%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.log

 

robocopy "d:\netcare\users" "e:\backup" /COPY:DAT /MIR /XF *.tmp /R:0 /W:0 /LOG+:"D:\NetCare\Shared Resources\Network Administrators\Logs\Backup\%log_fname%" /NFL /NDL

 

 

I am not quite sure what is being backed up here.

I want it to backup d:\netcare\users

d:\netcare\shared resources

and the C drive of the server if that is advisable?

 

Can somebody explain what the script is actually doing and how to change it so it does what I want?

I have had a play but it is too important to get wrong!

Posted (edited)

If I'm parsing that correctly, then it's only backing up the user folder.

 

 

How I'm reading it.

 

 

  • Make a variable of [year][day][month].log [Weird order....]
  • Mirror "d:\netcare\users" in "e:\backup". [copying Data, Attributes, Timestamps]
  • Exclude files called [literally anything].tmp [/XF]
  • No retries [/R:0]
  • No waiting between retries [/W:0]
  • Output everything to the logfile. Append, not overwrite [/LOG+]
  • Don't log file names or directory names. [/NFL /NDL]

 

[sorry if that sounded condescending. It's more for me than anything.]

 

If the only things in d:\netcare are the users and resources, you should be able to just drop "\users" from the robocopy part to grab them both.

 

If not, copying the entire robocopy line and changing the source to "d:\netcare\shared resources" should do both. [one after the other]

 

Not sure about backing up C: I don't think it'll be able to as parts are in use... I know there's a way of doing it though.

Edited by X-13
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Add another line:

 

robocopy "D:\NetCare\Shared Resources\" "e:\backup" /COPY:DAT /MIR /XF *.tmp /R:0 /W:0 /LOG+:"**different directory**\%log_fname%" /NFL /NDL

 

I wouldn't use Robocopy for the whole C:\ drive, it'll take forever and not be a particularly useful backup. For that one, look at using Windows Server backup (or just Windows Backup and Restore if it's a workstation).

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...